TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
That's interesting, I was going to comment on the end credits being the only thing that let it down, but if that is how the original would have been done then fair enough.

That's certainly how the credits are in this surviving Series 2 episode:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5rig3u

I don't think it helps that the black & white episodes aren't shown much, so people aren't familar with them.
Last edited by james-2001 on 27 August 2019 10:45pm
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

I don't think it helps that the black & white episodes aren't shown much, so people aren't familar with them.

They have now been added to Gold complete with "New to Gold" straps on the EPG description.

The BBC have definitely shown black & white Dad's Army a few times. There did use to be a time where they didn't show those, instead once they got to near to but not quite at the end of the run they'd loop back to somewhere in Series 3 but now they're happy to air the b&w episodes again as part of the regular airings..
VM
VMPhil
The last time I saw a B&W Dad’s Army on BBC Two, the sound quality was noticeably poorer than the colour episodes, presumably due to it being a telerecording. I’ve often wondered if that’s one reason why they aren’t in regular rotation.
JA
james-2001
I'd imagine it's more just due to the fact they're in black & white, broadcasters (in this country at least, go to the US there's plenty of channels showing 50s & 60s B&W content) seem to be reluctant to show them sadly.
BR
Brekkie
Dad's Army must be about the most rerun show on terrestrial TV. Seems to have been a regular fixture on BBC2 Saturday nights for a few years now and for many years was as regular on early evening BBC1.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
They probably were telerecordings to film as that was the easiest way to export them at the time, rather than faffing around with converting from PAL to NTSC or SECAM or whatever else is out there, just point a camera at a screen and record that to film. Its probably ironic that its these same recordings that came back to the BBC to replace the ones they'd wiped in the first place.

Dad's Army must be about the most rerun show on terrestrial TV. Seems to have been a regular fixture on BBC2 Saturday nights for a few years now and for many years was as regular on early evening BBC1.

Semi regular, because it disappears when sport/Proms/something else is on to displace it in the schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if its treated more as a schedule filler on a Saturday night.

Its a shame really most of the cast of Dad's Army didn't live to see how much loved it would still be fifty years later. Believe its only Frank Williams and Ian Lavender of the original cast who are still with us.
JA
james-2001
The last time I saw a B&W Dad’s Army on BBC Two, the sound quality was noticeably poorer than the colour episodes, presumably due to it being a telerecording. I’ve often wondered if that’s one reason why they aren’t in regular rotation.

When they did the colour recovered version of Room at The Bottom, they actually used the audio someone had recorded off-air at the time as it was better quality than that on the telerecording. I have a feeling the Doctor Who Restoration Team have done similar for many episodes.
NG
noggin Founding member

When they did the colour recovered version of Room at The Bottom, they actually used the audio someone had recorded off-air at the time as it was better quality than that on the telerecording. I have a feeling the Doctor Who Restoration Team have done similar for many episodes.

Not sure it's many episodes, but for some of the animated reconstructions and tele snap recreations it's all that they have. Mark Ayres will know Smile
BH
BillyH Founding member
I think it was Summer 1998 when the first series was repeated for the first time, and included a short message from either Perry or Croft about the missing episodes. Two were discovered about three years later.
VM
VMPhil
I think it was Summer 1998 when the first series was repeated for the first time, and included a short message from either Perry or Croft about the missing episodes. Two were discovered about three years later.

9th September 1998, David Croft - surrounded by vintage home video recorders! - in a short segment called Dad's Army: Where Are You?

JA
james-2001
Until those two episodes were found in 2001, the only surviving series 2 episode was one which had been directly telerecorded to film rather than recorded to video- which is the reason it survived! It means it ended up in the film library rather than with the videotapes of the rest of the series.

9 days later

NW
nwtv2003
Not quite UKTV anymore...

Newer posts