TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
Ash101
The investment in original programming is continuing, with Broadcast reporting that W has renewed Flack for a second series.
(https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/uktv/w-takes-more-flack/5141679.article)

It is a co-produce with an American network, Pop I think. I quite enjoyed the first series, very interesting from a media perspective. Good cast too.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
I mentioned this in the BBC News thread, but it's more appropriate here - as there doesn't seem to be much online any more about the early years of UKTV, I have done a page summarising the idents used between 1997 and 2004, when the presentation, in my mind, was a lot more interesting than it is today. Nowadays to me UKTV feels more like a random assortment of channels than a coherent network, especially after the removal of the unifying prefix from the channel names in 2008-09.

https://www.desandmick.co.uk/television/idents/uktv/
IS
Isonstine Founding member
There are a few different promos where they talk about different things and I'm pretty sure Danny talks in at least one of them.

There is indeed. He tells the story of being called Dwayne/Duane in both Red Dwarf and Death in Paradise. Irritatingly they seem to choose one and they keep replaying it in every junction. If I hear Pam Ferris tell the story of how she knows the Latin names of flowers...
VM
VMPhil
I mentioned this in the BBC News thread, but it's more appropriate here - as there doesn't seem to be much online any more about the early years of UKTV, I have done a page summarising the idents used between 1997 and 2004, when the presentation, in my mind, was a lot more interesting than it is today. Nowadays to me UKTV feels more like a random assortment of channels than a coherent network, especially after the removal of the unifying prefix from the channel names in 2008-09.

https://www.desandmick.co.uk/television/idents/uktv/

Boy, those original UKTV idents were gorgeous. Such a shame we never saw them in widescreen as intended.

Also I didn't realise the BBC had complete editorial control over the UKTV channels. That really does explain why they were identical presentation wise to the BBC channels, they even used programme slides!

21 days later

:-(
A former member
GOLD is showing its recreations of the 'Dad's Army' lost episodes this Bank Holiday - with special presentation to boot.

More here...
JA
james-2001
If they were recreating them properly, they should have been made in black & white, 4:3 and 405-lines Wink
DV
DVB Cornwall
I've asked them to recreate accordingly from their new masters. (Well not the 405 line bit) We'll see.
VM
VMPhil
I was dreading it based on the trail which was film look and had that annoying fake letterboxing which has infected everything recently, but it was 16:9 and 50i and faithfully done.
AS
Asa Admin
Nice touch to do some special presentation. The titles were a widescreen version of the classic and it was also nice to do an old-school ‘End of Part One’ ‘Part Two’ too. Had the ‘You Have Been Watching’ too but cards instead of scroller for the actual credits (naturally squeezed within nanoseconds by Gold). Font fans may disagree but it looked pretty accurate to me.

Can’t work out whether I like when they do these kind of programmes but at least there’s a genuine and honest reason for recording missing episodes, so credit to Gold and the team. No filmic effect anywhere near it either!

The biggest difference I noticed was the scenes were definitely framed for widescreen which obviously wouldn’t have originally been the case.
JA
james-2001
Asa posted:
No filmic effect anywhere near it either!

Not even on the location work, which would have been on film in the original episode Wink

I think the way the end credits were done is accurate for how the end credits looked during Season 2, with the cast in front of a still photo, then the rest of the credits static on a black background. The more familiar end credits came in with the move to colour in series 3.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Not bad Smile

A contributor to Digital Spy said the first episode wasn't 100% the original script as published in a book (before the rest of Series 2 was found) but I suppose that's the case for any TV programme and what is written is not what was necessarily recorded. Until the original episodes turn up, if ever, we'll never know. The second episode, Stripe for Frazer, at least has an audio recording made at the time which was later used as the soundtrack to an animated version.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Asa posted:
No filmic effect anywhere near it either!

Not even on the location work, which would have been on film in the original episode Wink

I think the way the end credits were done is accurate for how the end credits looked during Season 2, with the cast in front of a still photo, then the rest of the credits static on a black background. The more familiar end credits came in with the move to colour in series 3.

That's interesting, I was going to comment on the end credits being the only thing that let it down, but if that is how the original would have been done then fair enough.

Inspired casting, with the possible exception of Jones who seemed to sound too much like Joe Pasquale at certain times

Newer posts