TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Ste posted:
A feed of the Linfield match is FTA on 7E. Labeled as Wyzcom Path 1 with a provider name as UKI1528.

Two audio feeds, one with the English commentary and one with just crowd audio.

1528 is a BBC Northern Ireland SNG truck
SP
Steve in Pudsey

3. They will use separate commentary teams for TV & Radio but people will people hired to work for the BBC will work across TV & Radio dispelling myths they would use TMS on the TV

That happens now, with many of the TMS team (who are not BBC staff) also doing stints on Sky's coverage.

It would be nice to have a red button option for the TMS comms as they often do for football.
MR
mromega

3. They will use separate commentary teams for TV & Radio but people will people hired to work for the BBC will work across TV & Radio dispelling myths they would use TMS on the TV

It would be nice to have a red button option for the TMS comms as they often do for football.

Only if it is attached to the HD feed and doesn't mean switching to SD.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
They could legitimately put it on the Audio Description stream.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Rights ...

Channel Four to cover

The World Chase Tag championship.

(Well I never knew such an event existed, published for the benefit of other similarly ignorant people)
MA
madmusician

That happens now, with many of the TMS team (who are not BBC staff) also doing stints on Sky's coverage.

Well not really. There’s very little overlap between TMS and Sky - only Isa Guha does both. The overseas commentators may overlap, but in recent years there has been far more overlap between TMS and the Sunset and Vine commentary for the C5 highlights.

Incidentally, reading the tender document for the BBC’s highlights, they are looking for a few changes from the current C5 highlights package - more analytically-driven and with more of an emphasis on comment and social media/interactivity. It also won’t be produced on-site (unlike the current S&V production) - largely, it seems, so that regional production quota can be filled with the programme being produced from BBC Sport in Salford.

Looking at the tender requirements, I’m not sure if any indie other than Sunset and Vine even *qualify* to enter the tender (apart from Sky themselves) as I’m pretty sure they are the only indie to have been producing cricket programmes of the volume specified in the ‘requirements to tender’ section.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out. I’ve said for a long time that we won’t know how good the C5 highlights have been until they’ve gone, but I hope that the BBC will give us good coverage.
Jeffmister, Schwing and Brekkie gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Rights ...

Channel Four to cover

The World Chase Tag championship.

(Well I never knew such an event existed, published for the benefit of other similarly ignorant people)

Sounds like a sport for ESPN 8: The Ocho.
SC
Schwing

Well not really. There’s very little overlap between TMS and Sky - only Isa Guha does both.

I beg to differ, but... in the last 12months there has been a far more extensive crossover between TMS and Sky. It’s but just Isa Guga. There’s Charles Dagnall, Ebony Rainford-Brent, Graeme Swann, Michael Vaughan, Alison Mitchell and Charlotte Edwards.
GE
thegeek Founding member

I was in York Hall yesterday and saw them setting up something that didn't quite look like a boxing ring, so thank you for solving that mystery!
MA
madmusician

Well not really. There’s very little overlap between TMS and Sky - only Isa Guha does both.

I beg to differ, but... in the last 12months there has been a far more extensive crossover between TMS and Sky. It’s but just Isa Guga. There’s Charles Dagnall, Ebony Rainford-Brent, Graeme Swann, Michael Vaughan, Alison Mitchell and Charlotte Edwards.

I was thinking of the men’s international coverage, but I’ll give you Charles Dagnall, who is indeed a regular on the Sky county coverage.

I’m afraid I can’t recall Swann doing any Sky work (he has done occasional world feed stuff in Sri Lanka which may have been broadcast by Sky in the UK) nor Vaughan (who used to do T20 Blast but hasn’t since he signed for BT in 2016). Brent, Mitchell and Edwards only do women’s cricket for Sky AFAIK.

But the men’s international Sky team (Gower, Botham, Lloyd, Holding, Atherton, Hussain, Warne, Sangakkara etc) does not overlap with TMS. Indeed, I was just thinking the other day how unusual it was that Guha does still do ‘frontline’ TMS and Sky work.
BK
bkman1990
The International Rugby highlights on BBC Two have the Sky Sports feed with BBC Sport name tags for their lower thirds.
JO
Jon
The International Rugby highlights on BBC Two have the Sky Sports feed with BBC Sport name tags for their lower thirds.

I believe that’s how it always is.
japitts and bkman1990 gave kudos

Newer posts