TV Home Forum

The Late Late Gay Byrne Irish Television Thread

Irish TV legend passes away (October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
chinamug
It would be nice also to have a refreshed schedule on RTE One - their current line up is appalling in many ways. .

I find that true of every station .

Week In Week out the daytime schedule on all channels shows no imagination .

Nighttime is similar if it's 7 or 730 it's a soap .If it's sunday night 9pm BBC1 it's the Big Drama production , saturday coming up to Xmas it's Strictly

Yes, but at least they are home produced - RTE wave the white flag of surrender from 6.00am until 3.30pm each day and offer imports galore. It would be nice to see at least one or two new home produced morning shows. If Virgin Media Ireland can do it on a shoestring budget, so can RTE.

Again there's no real point having shows on in the morning. No one is watching before 10am and then This Morning has everything wrapped up from 10.30 onwards. What you are suggesting that RTE use funds they can't afford to make programmes that almost no one will ever watch. Virgin Media do it on a shoestring and they've no proper audience, if it were on economic grounds All those Home produced studio shows by Virgin would be cancelled in the morning. Teleshopping would make them more than Ireland AM does. They fill a quota, nothing more.

The only Virgin show (which is on a summer break) that has some reason to stay on air would be the Tonight show, which has a respectable audience at the time it's broadcast.
JK
JKDerry
I find that true of every station .

Week In Week out the daytime schedule on all channels shows no imagination .

Nighttime is similar if it's 7 or 730 it's a soap .If it's sunday night 9pm BBC1 it's the Big Drama production , saturday coming up to Xmas it's Strictly

Yes, but at least they are home produced - RTE wave the white flag of surrender from 6.00am until 3.30pm each day and offer imports galore. It would be nice to see at least one or two new home produced morning shows. If Virgin Media Ireland can do it on a shoestring budget, so can RTE.

Again there's no real point having shows on in the morning. No one is watching before 10am and then This Morning has everything wrapped up from 10.30 onwards. What you are suggesting that RTE use funds they can't afford to make programmes that almost no one will ever watch. Virgin Media do it on a shoestring and they've no proper audience, if it were on economic grounds All those Home produced studio shows by Virgin would be cancelled in the morning. Teleshopping would make them more than Ireland AM does. They fill a quota, nothing more.

The only Virgin show (which is on a summer break) that has some reason to stay on air would be the Tonight show, which has a respectable audience at the time it's broadcast.

RTE could put in a better effort with their imported programming though. This is what I am trying to get at. As I said, with a light increase of their budget, they could provide very good cheap imported NEW shows along with hourly news summaries and have a proper, decent looking line up in the mornings for very little money.
JK
JKDerry
Just an idea on a revamped RTE One daytime schedule, where they have the cheap imported programmes, along with their usual diet of repeats, but just settled into a more codified schedule line:

6.00am - Euronews
8.00am - RTE News Summary followed by Today with Maura and Daithi (re-run from yesterday)
10.00am - RTE News Summary followed by Dr Phil
11.00am - RTE News Summary followed by The Ellen DeGeneres Show
12.00pm - RTE News Summary followed by The Doctors
12.35pm - Telly Bingo, A re-run of one of their lifestyle shows etc
1.00pm - RTE One O'Clock News

Just a thought, where hardly any extra money has been spent, but it just tidy up the schedule instead of the haphazard, throw anything at it as they have now, for example shoving Open All Hours and Only Fools and Horses repeats on from 8.00am.

Just my idea - that is what the TV Forum is for, just an opinion.
CH
chinamug
Just an idea on a revamped RTE One daytime schedule, where they have the cheap imported programmes, along with their usual diet of repeats, but just settled into a more codified schedule line:

6.00am - Euronews
8.00am - RTE News Summary followed by Today with Maura and Daithi (re-run from yesterday)
10.00am - RTE News Summary followed by Dr Phil
11.00am - RTE News Summary followed by The Ellen DeGeneres Show
12.00pm - RTE News Summary followed by The Doctors
12.35pm - Telly Bingo, A re-run of one of their lifestyle shows etc
1.00pm - RTE One O'Clock News

Just a thought, where hardly any extra money has been spent, but it just tidy up the schedule instead of the haphazard, throw anything at it as they have now, for example shoving Open All Hours and Only Fools and Horses repeats on from 8.00am.

Just my idea - that is what the TV Forum is for, just an opinion.

The reason that Only fools and Horses is on at that time is that Today is on a 5 or so month break. Logically Euronews should be on for 3 hours between 6 and 9, providing some sort of news service. However, Euronews doesn't make them money, Teleshopping does. The fact remains, there's no big audience for TV before Lunchtime. Basically shows between 5 am and 12 on RTE 1 are the modern-day test card.

if they dropped everything and replaced it with a text service like BBC Alba broadcasts during its downtime, and added a radio 1 soundtrack or indeed RTE Gold, the audience would probably go up
AJ
AJB39
I think they should show Morning Ireland on RTÉ 1 between 7 and 9 like they do on RTÉ News Now. It wouldn’t cost them any more money and they could still have Teleshopping before or after it.
JK
JKDerry
Morning Ireland already airs on RTE News Now channel so they could simply move it to RTE One.
BA
Ballyboy
A new look could go with a new schedule
JK
JKDerry

Will September 2019 bring a refreshed look to RTE One?
SH
Sh1ruba

I sure hope so...
TV
TVLand
Here’s the promo that’s being aired on RTÉ about their new season (minus the banners)

One can only live in hope. At least a few new idents would be nice, most of the current idents have been in use since 2006!
BR
Brekkie
Really wish TV companies would stop using squareovision for clips on social media. Nobody has a square phone.
JK
JKDerry
I read that on the new season of The Late Late Show, their host Mr Ryan Tubridy has revealed they will be "tweaking" the look of the current set and titles, plus they will be giving Ryan a new chair ..... Wow, RTE are really pushing the boat out for Ryan, shame it is called the RMS Titanic.

Newer posts