TV Home Forum

French TV

Old and new (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Due to today's Yellow Vests protests in Paris, the daytime output of this year's France Télévisions Telethon is coming from a studio instead of the usual OB location.
LL
The prime-time edition of Telethon is from a larger studio, but still nowhere as grand as usual.

Some grabs from earlier from a laboratory used for the 10am edition and then from France Télévisions at lunchtime.

The last cap is from a Swiss provider of France 3 who overlayed their own Swiss Telethon graphic.

I suspect France Télévisions have toned down the pomp of Telethon this year considering the amount of anger in France currently.

40 days later

WW
WW Update
A two-minute history of French TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1fd6p1LGKk

68 days later

QN
Quatorzine Neko
TéléMatin, France 2's morning show (and the most-watched on French television), got new promos a few days ago.

The motto here is "If we're the most-watched, it's because there's more than just TV between us", as a way to underline the ambition of proximity with the viewer.

French company 17 Mars was in charge of these.
Last edited by Quatorzine Neko on 26 March 2019 7:07pm
London Lite and Hatton Cross gave kudos

102 days later

LL
Changes to TéléMatin in September. Bulletin reader Sophie Le Saint has left today and will join Franceinfo in an unspecified slot.

Replacing Sophie will be Karine Baste-Régis who currently co-presents 6h30-9h30 on Franceinfo as well as Le 6h00 info on France 2 and late evening presenter Julien Benedetto. He'll be also covering the main F2 13h and 20h bulletins over the summer.

Karine will be reunited with Laurent Bignolas who used to present the same shift on Franceinfo with her. I'd speculate that Sophie Le Saint may be offered Karine's role, but there are other presenters who are more than capable of presenting Karine's current role. Camille Grenu is regular cover and would be my first choice or Johanna Ghiglia. Grenu and Ghigula currently co-present the weekend editions of the morning show.

49 days later

QN
Quatorzine Neko
Many changes coming in this end of August at the French public broadcaster.

First, Franceinfo:tv, which is now three years old, is going to get a visual and musical refresh starting from the 26th of August, still on the grounds laid by the Movement design studio and Jean-Michel Jarre. The timeslot intros will feature an added "volume" effect.

A new motto will be introduced: « Franceinfo:, et tout est plus clair » (Franceinfo:, and everything gets clearer). It replaces the sort of typographic/dictation pun that was « Franceinfo: deux points, ouvrez l'info » (Franceinfo: colon, open the news).

Jean Chrétien, the channel's manager, explains he wants the refreshed branding to show that Franceinfo:tv is not "stuck in its jar" but a channel that is open on the world.

»» You can read more about it, as well as an exclusive interview with Jean Chrétien (in French) and watch the new intros on the Lenodal blog.

Beyond this, and as relayed here in July by London Lite, several anchors from France 2's breakfast programme TéléMatin will join the channel, in particular Sophie Le Saint (in the afternoons) and Nathanaël de Rincquesen (for Franceinfo: Soir , the 9pm-to-midnight timeslot). As for Karine Baste-Régis and Julien Benedetto, they will do the opposite motion and be transferred from Franceinfo:tv to TéléMatin .

Franceinfo: Soir will also feature a full-length evening newscast at 11pm, anchored by Patricia Loison, former LCI and i>Télé journalist, who joined France 3 in 2009, and who is now back after a 3-year-long break.

This newscast was imagined to replace France 3's Soir 3 (which Patricia Loison also used to anchor). The third channel's nightly news programme, which was created in 1978, suffered from very varying broadcasting hours lately, causing a viewer loss. The last edition of Soir 3 is scheduled in the night of the 25th and 26th of August.

Worker unions are very unhappy about this for several reasons: first, even though Soir 3 's viewer figures are not as strong as they used to be, it still attracted 585,000 viewers on average last year, sometimes more than 1,000,000; whereas Franceinfo:tv's viewer count hardly reaches 30,000 (0.5% of the total viewer share).

Indeed, few French people know Franceinfo:tv's existence (unlike Franceinfo:'s radio counterpart which is the 4th most listened-to station in the country). France·tv's executives announced the launch of a broad communication campaign to promote the channel and its number (27) on the TNT (equivalent of Freeview).

Journalists also worry about the quality and the diversity of the information: not unlike several other nightly news programmes on European PSBs, Soir 3 had a stronger focus on international and European topics. France·tv's executives promised to keep the Eurozapping segment as part of the 11pm newscast, but this probably won't be enough to prevent a strike movement on the 26th of August.

On a different note, the 30th and 31st of August will be the last days of one of France 2's emblematic game shows, running for 29 years: Motus , based on the Dutch format Lingo . Thierry Beccaro, the 62-year-old presenter who animated it since its very start in 1990, announced a few months back that he retired as a presenter of both Motus and TéléMatin (in which he replaced the titular anchor, Laurent Bignolas, during his holidays; Beccaro's last appearance there was on the 3rd of August).

France·tv executives, who were planning on taking one game show off the air, and who originally planned to put an end to Des Chiffres et des Lettres (equivalent of Channel 4's Countdown ), took this opportunity to remove Motus instead. No doubt that viewers will gather in front of their TV screens to watch the last episodes of this popular programme. Motus will likely be replaced by repeats of Affaire Conclue , the also successful adaptation of the German antique auction show Bares für Rares .

Jean-Luc Reichmann, currently animating Les 12 Coups de Midi on TF1, was Motus ' first off-camera co-presenter. He announced he will be a candidate on the last episode of Motus.

Last edited by Quatorzine Neko on 23 August 2019 11:06am - 6 times in total
LL
So much to absorb there! I'm not surprised Franceinfo is getting a revamp and some new presenters. Sophie Le Saint was obviously moving across. I wonder what will happen to Clémence de la Baume? She impressed on Soir/3 over the summer, surely the time to move her to one of the peak slots on Franceinfo?

Motus being axed isn't really a surprise, even my French elderly mother is bored with the show, but she'll watch Les Z'amours. Bruno Guillon has impressed since replacing Tex. And she'll watch Nagui's game show at lunchtime "Tout le monde veut prendre sa place"

Those game shows Nagui presents have to be really time consuming to film in long blocks, but they do bring in the viewers in France.

There was one change Quatorzine Neko missed and that's the launch of BFM's latest local tv channel, BFM LYON on September 3rd.

https://www.bfmtv.com/mediaplayer/video/decouvrez-bfm-lyon-votre-nouvelle-chaine-a-partir-du-3-septembre-1181810.html
TR
TheTravelcard
So much to absorb there! I'm not surprised Franceinfo is getting a revamp and some new presenters. Sophie Le Saint was obviously moving across. I wonder what will happen to Clémence de la Baume? She impressed on Soir/3 over the summer, surely the time to move her to one of the peak slots on Franceinfo?

According to their press office on Twitter, she'll now take a portion of Fanny Conquy's very long weekend daytime shift: https://twitter.com/Francetele/status/1164437234310963200

Some of these changes to the overall news line-up seem to be desperate in their attempts to attract a young audience, dare I say a particularly "woke" one (an interactive 17h/20h seems to pin this down) - it will be interesting to see what happens. The Soir 3 coming to an end is a huge surprise, as has been pointed out the audience figures are reasonable and on par with Newsnight and not too far off Tagesthemen. The audience will not watch Le 23h in the same numbers and the illusion that this incarnation is the 'successor' to Soir 3 is nonsensical corporate jargon. I hope Francis Letellier and Nora Boubetra will occasionally present the 12/13 and 19/20, when they were titulaire/joker on the weekend editions, their rigour for raw, unfiltered journalism shone through - even at 1am on a Sunday morning their bulletins would never have any fluff/filler. Le 23h will.

Still, good luck to them! CNEWS will never be a patch on iTélé, LCI is very stale and has too many repeats and as for BFMTV I note that their evening line up is now Le Dezoom followed by Le Tonight Bruce Infos ... ok then...
LL

According to their press office on Twitter, she'll now take a portion of Fanny Conquy's very long weekend daytime shift: https://twitter.com/Francetele/status/1164437234310963200

Some of these changes to the overall news line-up seem to be desperate in their attempts to attract a young audience, dare I say a particularly "woke" one (an interactive 17h/20h seems to pin this down) - it will be interesting to see what happens. The Soir 3 coming to an end is a huge surprise, as has been pointed out the audience figures are reasonable and on par with Newsnight and not too far off Tagesthemen. The audience will not watch Le 23h in the same numbers and the illusion that this incarnation is the 'successor' to Soir 3 is nonsensical corporate jargon. I hope Francis Letellier and Nora Boubetra will occasionally present the 12/13 and 19/20, when they were titulaire/joker on the weekend editions, their rigour for raw, unfiltered journalism shone through - even at 1am on a Sunday morning their bulletins would never have any fluff/filler. Le 23h will.

Still, good luck to them! CNEWS will never be a patch on iTélé, LCI is very stale and has too many repeats and as for BFMTV I note that their evening line up is now Le Dezoom followed by Le Tonight Bruce Infos ... ok then...

Thanks for the full line-up changes. Good to see Johanna get the morning show alongside Samuel Etienne. Lucie Chaumette promoted to co-presenter of the early evening shift, but disappointed to see Camille Grenu staying on the weekend morning show, although I suspect she'll stay as the number 2 if Johanna is off? Clémence should have been offered a weekday shift, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was pushed aside for Le Saint. The other one of note is Sorya Khaldoun demoted to presenting the weekend 23h bulletins. It wouldn't be so bad if she was offered Soir 3 instead, but this will have a tiny audience.
BB
BBI45
It has already been mentioned that 13h and 20h on France 2 will be getting a new look from tomorrow. However, more images and details have been revealed on lenodal.com.

I have also seen bits and bobs which suggest that BFMTV is getting an updated look from tomorrow. However, I haven't been able to get those details fleshed out.

EDIT: Unsure if this is something that has been mocked up a by Lenodal user, or if this is what we can expect from tomorrow:
Last edited by BBI45 on 25 August 2019 8:54pm
LL
I hope that isn't it. One of the major issues with BFMTV is the on-screen junk that clutters the screen.
BB
BBI45
BFMTV has launched a new graphics package. London Lite will be pleased to know that there is still plenty of on-screen clutter.

Newer posts