TV Home Forum

ITV axe sitcoms

Tell viewers to get their comedy from Corrie (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cando
When it comes to implementation, common sense will come into play - single writers may be co-commissioned a writer to ensure gender balance, for example.

That's not common sense though. Imagine if Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong had been told they had to work with another writer - male or female - to get another series of Peep Show produced, simply as a box ticking exercise.

The commissioner was literally talking only about "writers rooms". Going by Twitter it seems only a few commenting have a clue how they operate.

JC
JCB
Cando posted:
When it comes to implementation, common sense will come into play - single writers may be co-commissioned a writer to ensure gender balance, for example.

That's not common sense though. Imagine if Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong had been told they had to work with another writer - male or female - to get another series of Peep Show produced, simply as a box ticking exercise.

The commissioner was literally talking only about "writers rooms". Going by Twitter it seems only a few commenting have a clue how they operate.

Everyone who went into a rage about box ticking would have known this if they'd actually read what ITV said. Rolling Eyes I can't believe how thick people are.
Rexogamer and elmarko gave kudos
EL
elmarko
Jonathan Pie is not on "the left", indeed some of his material is written by a guy involved with Spiked. He plays it as a down the line centrist, although these days that means you have compassion but like the occasional joke that punches down instead of up.

Also: I would caution a forum full of men that your lived experiences are not the same as a woman's. And if you're listening to JBP for any kind of rationality then you're in the wrong place.

But that's possibly a derail and not one I think would be appreciated. Suffice to say: The guy dresses his weird ethno-Christian views up in pseudoscience and big words and people lap it up.
EL
elmarko
JCB posted:

Everyone who went into a rage about box ticking would have known this if they'd actually read what ITV said. Rolling Eyes I can't believe how thick people are.

About subjects like this everybody is. They should read a psychology text book. We all should.

65 days later

VM
VMPhil
Some surprising news:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5467/brenda_blethyn_kate_kolo_itv_sitcom/

That’s a quick change of direction.
BR
Brekkie
Some surprising news:

A commission that shows how flawed their 50:50 policy is.
IS
Inspector Sands
Some surprising news:

A commission that shows how flawed their 50:50 policy is.

See above, that's about team written shows on non-authored shows.

This show isn't team written, but they seem to be contributing towards the scheme anyway
BR
Brekkie
It comes across as tokenism and if the trainee role is more than a box ticking exercise it's actually discriminatory to exclude people based on gender for what actually would be a fantastic opportunity to work with proven sitcom writers.
LL
Larry the Loafer
ITV and sitcoms with ethnic minorities... Oh boy.

Even as late as 2008 they were in hot water when Teenage Kicks had an episode where a character started mocking a Chinese person's accent.
LS
Lou Scannon

"Curry & Chips", anyone?

(Short-lived ITV sitcom starring Eric Sykes and Spike Milligan, the latter being browned-up as a Pakistani character with a "bud-bud, ding-ding" accent. Thankfully only lasted one series (1969). Was intended to highlight racism rather than promote it, but obviously comes across badly. Citizen Khan, it certainly ain't).
NL
Ne1L C
Milligan's name was Kevin O'Grady. A similar named character was in Til Death Us do Part. Common decency prevents me from saying his nickname.
HA
harshy Founding member

"Curry & Chips", anyone?

(Short-lived ITV sitcom starring Eric Sykes and Spike Milligan, the latter being browned-up as a Pakistani character with a "bud-bud, ding-ding" accent. Thankfully only lasted one series (1969). Was intended to highlight racism rather than promote it, but obviously comes across badly. Citizen Khan, it certainly ain't).

First time I saw it I didn’t find it offensive at all.

Newer posts