« Topics
Worzel4,705 posts since 8 Jan 2008
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
https://twitter.com/bbcmaryam/status/1162340759309357056?s=21

Maryam's twitter bio suggests she's lead presenter of BBC World News. Wasn't that role once occupied by Nik Gowing? I'm not sure there has been a lead presenter on BBC World News since?

I thought Ben Bland was lead presenter (at least he should be) ?

Pretty sure its Matthew Amroliwala or Mike Embley.
itsrobert6,325 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today
https://twitter.com/bbcmaryam/status/1162340759309357056?s=21

Maryam's twitter bio suggests she's lead presenter of BBC World News. Wasn't that role once occupied by Nik Gowing? I'm not sure there has been a lead presenter on BBC World News since?

Yes, Nik Gowing was considered the chief newscaster on BBC World and Gavin Esler was the same on BBC News 24. After that, it got a bit less obvious.
deejay2,904 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Central (South) Oxford
As far as I know there is no such thing anymore. The nearest thing to it I think would be presenters who do the nationals, though they are not widely known on World News, and some rarely present on the channel when it’s not a national (eg Fiona Bruce)
Two minutes regions...
As far as I know there is no such thing anymore. The nearest thing to it I think would be presenters who do the nationals, though they are not widely known on World News, and some rarely present on the channel when it’s not a national (eg Fiona Bruce)

I think Fiona Bruce is the only 'nationals' presenter who has never done a stint/shift on either the News channel or World News as Huw Edwards, Sophie Raworth, George Alagiah, Mishal Husain and Kate Silverton all have at some point. Wonder why?
itsrobert6,325 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today
At the time (circa 2001) Peter Sissons and Michael Buerk were considered the top BBC1 newscasters. But on News 24 and World, Gavin Esler and Nik Gowing held a similar status. They would always be called in if a major story broke. Like deejay says, it doesn't seem to exist anymore for the continuous news channels. Remember, back in those days it was very, very rare for any simulcasting to go on outside of overnights. So News 24 and World had their own pool of presenters who were largely unknown to each other's viewers.

Of course, it led to the occasion in the wake of 9/11 when Michael Buerk presented alongside Gavin Esler on the News 24 set! That was an incredible rarity!

EDIT: In fact, I uploaded a video of it several years ago. It's an old-style Real Player video file but it's playable in VLC media player if you have it.

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/itsrobert/BBC%20News%20Special%20(Michael%20Buerk%20%20Gavin%20Esler).rm
Last edited by itsrobert on 18 August 2019 12:17am
bilky asko, Richard and London Lite gave kudos
Newsroom1,661 posts since 2 Mar 2005
We can only assume her contract is explicit that she doesn't present on the News Channel as you are correct, I can't recall her ever appearing on the News Channel.
Formerly News Room
JamesWorldNews8,006 posts since 22 Aug 2004
STV Central BBC World News
I guess the current “contractual” titles in use are in recognition of permanent staff status, length of service and associated seniority.

Rob is right: the days of there being a “Chief” anchor are now gone. If the seniority were to be measured purely by who is sent outside most to cover the big stories, then today’s “Chief” anchors would be Simon McCoy (Channel), Christian Fraser (Channel and World), Philippa Thomas (World) and Annita McVeigh (Channel).

Matthew Amroliwala occasionally ventures outside, but his presence is limited to the confines of his own slot (Global with MA). Similarly Lucy Hockings and GMT.

I would, therefore, propose that the 4 names I’ve mentioned above are the new Gowing and Esler!

Of course, Sophie Raworth and Huw Edwards are also senior chiefs! (Huw is the new Dimbleby, as far as I can tell).

Different outlets use different terminology for their senior “talent”: ITN has “Senior Newscasters”. AJE has “Principal News Presenters”. SKY has Kay........
@JamesWorldNews | Formerly BBC WORLD
I guess the current “contractual” titles in use are in recognition of permanent staff status, length of service and associated seniority.

Rob is right: the days of there being a “Chief” anchor are now gone. If the seniority were to be measured purely by who is sent outside most to cover the big stories, then today’s “Chief” anchors would be Simon McCoy (Channel), Christian Fraser (Channel and World), Philippa Thomas (World) and Annita McVeigh (Channel).

Not forgetting Ben Brown.
At the time (circa 2001) Peter Sissons and Michael Buerk were considered the top BBC1 newscasters. But on News 24 and World, Gavin Esler and Nik Gowing held a similar status. They would always be called in if a major story broke. Like deejay says, it doesn't seem to exist anymore for the continuous news channels. Remember, back in those days it was very, very rare for any simulcasting to go on outside of overnights. So News 24 and World had their own pool of presenters who were largely unknown to each other's viewers.

Of course, it led to the occasion in the wake of 9/11 when Michael Buerk presented alongside Gavin Esler on the News 24 set! That was an incredible rarity!

EDIT: In fact, I uploaded a video of it several years ago. It's an old-style Real Player video file but it's playable in VLC media player if you have it.

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/itsrobert/BBC%20News%20Special%20(Michael%20Buerk%20%20Gavin%20Esler).rm

Very rare indeed. I think there's only been a handful of occasions when the national presenter has joined the News 24/Channel presenter.

Only ocassions I can think of have been the above with Gavin Estler and Michael Buerk, an Azores summit news special with Huw Edwards joining Jane Hill on the News 24 set.

The 2000 TVC power cut with Darren Jordan presenting alongside Carrie Gracie from the old Westminster newsroom set.

When Colonal Gaddafi was captured with Mishal Husain joining Jane Hill in N6 (although Mishal was on a World News shift at the time, I think it still counts).

I haven't counted Peter Sissons and Chris Lowe in the mix as they became dedicated News 24/Channel presenters post their time fronting BBC One main bulletins. Although, come to think of it, did Sissons also present the weekend BBC One update simulcasts from N8? I can't really remember?

I think there might have been a few occasions around 2007 when the likes of George Alagiah and Sophie Raworth did stints on the news channel in a bid to increase the high profile names on the channel. I also believe, but correct me if I'm wrong, but that was also around the time Huw Edwards started presenting his BBC 5 O'clock News hour (as it was then).

Nowadays you'd just get the World News presenter joining the News channel presenter or vice versa.
Last edited by Worzel on 18 August 2019 11:36am - 13 times in total
BFGArmy351 posts since 15 Jan 2018
London London
I don't think there's a chief newscaster in the same way you get say on the US networks - when there's a big breaking news story on CNN for example the duty presenter will often be thrown off air so that somebody like Wolf Blitzer or Chris Cuomo will anchor. Which always feels unnecessary to me - surely you should trust whoever is on duty to be able to deliver breaking news especially if it's their usual slot.

Whereas with the UK news channels most of the time whoever is on duty is trusted with the breaking news (with sometimes a more senior presenter joining if they were meant to be on shortly after anyway or the World News presenter joining if BBC News & BBC World News are simulcasting)