The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC (January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
What goes out during a failure depends on the nature of the failure and how much notice they have to set up a backup plan.
LS
Lou Scannon
Whilst Points West is basically the only logical choice of back-up region for Spotlight (albeit not so great for the CI part of the patch (but neither would South Today be)), it arguably isn't so ideal the other way around.

Viewers in certain parts of Points West land may variously prefer Wales / Midlands / South (Southampton/Oxford) as the nearest neighbouring service.

Midlands Today probably has the biggest problem, in this regard. East Midlands is a reasonable back-up if you live in the likes of Warwickshire or the West Midlands county, but viewers in e.g. Stoke-on-Trent/Oswestry/Hereford may prefer North West/Wales/West. Viewers in e.g. Stratford-upon-Avon may even prefer ST Oxford?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Historically, the backup for Spotlight was Points West, not least because of the way the network feeds worked and the RBS back up, it was the easiest thing to get on air and what the transmitters down there would take via RBS by default.

Interesting story of it all going pear shaped many years ago here:
http://wiki.tx.mb21.co.uk/index.php?title=Down_the_Tubes
MA
Markymark
What goes out during a failure depends on the nature of the failure and how much notice they have to set up a backup plan.

Yes, with a zero notice instance of failure all that can happen is to stay on the sustaining feed. (News Ch), with a bit on notice the CCM centre patch in an alternative region
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There are exceptions to that, if either Leeds or Hull goes down the other is instantly available I believe.
MI
m_in_m
There are exceptions to that, if either Leeds or Hull goes down the other is instantly available I believe.

Would the same now apply with Cambridge/Norwich and Oxford/Southampton?
MA
Markymark

I can't see how that's possible in all scanarios, if for instance either site burnt to the ground, it would still require CCM to re patch?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Well it wouldn't work with CI. When Plymouth went down and came from Bristol, the Islands could only put their bulletins on social media.
MA
Markymark
Well it wouldn't work with CI. When Plymouth went down and came from Bristol, the Islands could only put their bulletins on social media.

Yes, the CI's central equipment room is effectively in Plymouth, without Plymouth they are dead in the water, think in terms of Plymouth as more akin to a dual region ITV regional site (but with the ability of two simultaneous live programmes)
SP
Steve in Pudsey

I can't see how that's possible in all scanarios, if for instance either site burnt to the ground, it would still require CCM to re patch?

There are definitely some scenarios where it wouldn't work but as both sites routinely opt in both regions the set up is not standard. But I can't imagine exactly how it would work either!
RO
robertclark125

Yes, the CI's central equipment room is effectively in Plymouth, without Plymouth they are dead in the water, think in terms of Plymouth as more akin to a dual region ITV regional site (but with the ability of two simultaneous live programmes)

I'm thinking of such a scenario similar to say, when Tyne Tees had both the north of the region bulletin, and the south of the region bulletin, coming from Gateshead, in studios next door to each other. If Gateshead went down, that was it basically.
LS
Lou Scannon

That 6:30pm "Points West & Spotlight" presented from PW's usual Bristol studio/set did include one (or two?) CI story/stories as well as a smattering of South West stories. This confirmed - if there was any doubt! - that the namestraps are burnt in to CI's reports.

They were the only namestraps that animated on/off that evening, as the namestraps generated in Bristol can only mix/fade on and off. They were also of course "BBC Channel Islands"-branded, whereas all of the Bristol-generated namestraps that evening went with the neutrality of just "BBC" with no other words after it.
parrferris and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos

Newer posts