Media Websites

TV Forum

(October 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PE
Pete Founding member
Asa posted:
Really had to be a fan of blue by the look of too! Full-on to say the least. I hadn’t realised I’d used the bauble since day one either...I’m so unoriginal nearly twenty years later Laughing

The user count is a bit random but I sometimes did a purge of inactive members which would affect the counts. The number of posts should have increased though.

It’s scary when I Google to find, say, the launch date of an old presentation package and get directed to this site!

Remember for a long time it wasn't the 'done thing' to have a solid white background on websites (the BBC themselves had a black background in the late 90s)

CRT monitors could be uncomfy to look at with too much white.
VM
VMPhil
I think early web browsers set the default background to grey instead of white (if you didn't specify otherwise in the HTML).
IT
itsrobert Founding member
That screenshot of the original TV Forum really took me back. I can't believe it's getting on for 20 years ago. It's nice - and a testament to Asa - that some of us are still here now. The internet - and the world - seemed so much simpler back then. And TV pres was still in its heyday. Great times.... Smile
VM
VMPhil
By the way, I’m guessing the reason BillyH originally took that screenshot is because something funny was happening with the forum database. If you notice, some of the forums say they have 0 threads and 0 posts, with the latest post by ‘N/A’, and the Home Forum only has 7 topics.

Though I wasn’t a member of TV Forum at that time, the Windows 98 UI does bring back a lot of memories. Particularly the icons in the system tray: MSN Messenger, RealPlayer, RealJukebox, and if I’m not mistaken the old dial-up icon that flashed different colours. Must have been a nice monitor you had for the time though, what with it being 1024x768 resolution!
LL
Larry the Loafer
I love the irony that these Wayback snapshots take so long to load, that loading the BBC website from 1997 feels like you're using an internet connection from 1997.
RE
Rexogamer
I love the irony that these Wayback snapshots take so long to load, that loading the BBC website from 1997 feels like you're using an internet connection from 1997.

Guess they want to give you the truest experience?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

Needs to cut you off the internet at the worst possible moment, take five minutes to get reconnected (at a slower speed) and then have to download the entire cowing page again because Internet Explorer decided not to cache any of it.

Of course there were other browsers around in 1998 (Netscape was dominant until Internet Explorer took that crown until 2012 when Chrome snatched it) but back then most people just used Internet Explorer because, well there it was looking at you on the desktop.
RE
Rexogamer

Needs to cut you off the internet at the worst possible moment, take five minutes to get reconnected (at a slower speed) and then have to download the entire cowing page again because Internet Explorer decided not to cache any of it.

Of course there were other browsers around in 1998 (Netscape was dominant until Internet Explorer took that crown until 2012 when Chrome snatched it) but back then most people just used Internet Explorer because, well there it was looking at you on the desktop.

Chrome took until 2012 to overtake Internet Explorer ?!
NJ
Chrome took until 2012 to overtake Internet Explorer ?!

From Wikipedia:

Chrome today has a market share the same as Internet Explorer had back in 2009, however up until Windows 10 it was still bundled and waved at you on installation (it is still in Windows 10 but depreciated in favour of Edge).
LL
London Lite Founding member

Chrome today has a market share the same as Internet Explorer had back in 2009, however up until Windows 10 it was still bundled and waved at you on installation (it is still in Windows 10 but depreciated in favour of Edge).

It seems that people only used IE or Edge in recent years to download Chrome and that was it.
itvblocks and Rexogamer gave kudos
NJ

It seems that people only used IE or Edge in recent years to download Chrome and that was it.

It used to be possible to bundle your own apps into a Windows CD you make yourself so if you built your system with it you'd have stuff ready to go rather than having to install it, find and install your drivers, patch it and then install all your other stuff.

You can still do this to an extent if you know what you're doing and if you can be bothered but its far easier just to get your drivers offline on a memory stick or disk beforehand and use something like Ninite to bunch install common stuff you use so there's no need to go anywhere near Edge.
Rexogamer and London Lite gave kudos
RE
Rexogamer

It used to be possible to bundle your own apps into a Windows CD you make yourself so if you built your system with it you'd have stuff ready to go rather than having to install it, find and install your drivers, patch it and then install all your other stuff.

You can still do this to an extent if you know what you're doing and if you can be bothered but its far easier just to get your drivers offline on a memory stick or disk beforehand and use something like Ninite to bunch install common stuff you use so there's no need to go anywhere near Edge.

In fact, Microsoft are in the process of remaking Edge using Chromium...

Newer posts