TV Home Forum

40th anniversary of the ITV strike

10 August – 24 October 1979 (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PP
Po6xyPop77
Today 40 years ago, the strike was already on for a week! I wish I got to witness that on my own TV!
:-(
A former member
You can. Why not buy some blue card and write your message on it and stick it on your tv 😁
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Or if you have the means to watch You Tube on your TV, somebody has done a mock

AG
AxG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJMgEusZlNE

4/5 - needs to be 107,999 minutes longer.
JA
james-2001
AxG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJMgEusZlNE

4/5 - needs to be 107,999 minutes longer.

With music and a droning voiceover.
RO
rob Founding member
AxG posted:
needs to be 107,999 minutes longer.

That's too short.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
That's just the length of the voiceover
MA
Markymark
rob posted:
AxG posted:
needs to be 107,999 minutes longer.

That's too short.

No that's about right, I'd worked out at 105,840 assuming it was 10.5 weeks (in some regions), however the transmitters were switched off between Midnight and 08:30, and after a couple of weeks there was music, and after a few more weeks Yorkshire Ripper notices on the hour for 15 mins
PP
Po6xyPop77
Didn’t the strike cause a baby boom?
MA
Markymark
Myina posted:
Didn’t the strike cause a baby boom?

No. For those of us who were alive in the 70s, we'd had long winter evenings without any power, (the smell of candle wax still takes me back to those days) I'd sat at school in lessons wearing my coat, because the heating didn't work (because there was a power cut and/or the oil hadn't turned up) and my parents had lived through WWII (my mother's house had its roof blown clean off by a bomb) , so quite honestly having no ITV for 10 weeks really really wasn't a disaster.
CO
commseng
I used to enjoy the power cuts in the 1970s.
I'm not so sure my parents did.
The Birmingham Evening Mail would say which areas would lose power at what time, and you could set your watch by it.
If you could see your watch.....

It probably seems very odd to younger eyes that this was a normal state of affairs, can you imagine the internet stopping now?
That radio and television and all the programme content remains on the air for such a high percentage of time now is nothing short of a miracle when you consider how many bits of kit the signal goes through, all of which need powering.
UKnews, Markymark and noggin gave kudos
MA
Markymark
I used to enjoy the power cuts in the 1970s.
I'm not so sure my parents did.
The Birmingham Evening Mail would say which areas would lose power at what time, and you could set your watch by it.
If you could see your watch.....

It probably seems very odd to younger eyes that this was a normal state of affairs, can you imagine the internet stopping now?
That radio and television and all the programme content remains on the air for such a high percentage of time now is nothing short of a miracle when you consider how many bits of kit the signal goes through, all of which need powering.

Yes. In our area the SEB published a table in the local papers of the rota, yes, you could indeed set your watch by it. My school was in adjacent area to our house, so some days I'd wake up to no power in the 6am to 9am slot, then arrive at school just in time to have no power there 9am to 12 !

Radio 210 apparently ran themselves off car batteries and an inverter, all sounded normal, except their cart machines ran about 10% fast !

Newer posts