The Newsroom

Power outage at BBC Wales

Split from BBC Newsline (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Incidently out of curiosity I listened to a bit of Radio Wales during the outage and their emergency 'tape' sounds like it's quite good. I say sounds like as it was recueing itself! The bit I heard had Vanessa Carlton, then the Manic Street Preachers, then the Pretenders... and then half way through played Vanessa Carlton again
SC
scottishtv Founding member
The 8pm junction is a bit special, isn't it? Not often you'll see a BBC One NI ident with Eastenders being introduced as "here on BBC One Northern Ireland and BBC Wales". Hope it will be kept for posterity. Smile

I can imagine us arguing about whether that really happened or not, in about 10-15 years time.
DE
denton
Here's a previous occasion, from 11 years ago.
DE
denton
I imagine that with a bit of notice they would have been able to get a feed from Points West or Midlands Today into Belfast.

Looks like BBC One Wales is simulcasting BBC One NI and BBC Two Wales is with network.

You could do that, with a bit of notice, but you'd need even more notice to get an additional Announcer/Director to travel from home to the spare Pres suite in Belfast to put that to air.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I’m surprised the backup isn’t Points West. The nearest region to the most heavily populated part of Wales.

Bear in mind at this point, it was assumed it was only the regional news effected, rather than the whole operation
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Or get C&M to switch BBC West to line like they would for an English regions failure, put up with a network junction into the One Show then switch to either simulcast BBC One NI or to the NI spare suite if an announcer/ Director is available?
WM
WMD
BBC One Wales from Belfast continues. The 10:35 opt-out programme Tudur’s TV Flashback was trailed, but no Wales Today heads at the top of the Ten. Sports headline from Salford instead of Newsline though.
AS
Asa Admin
"Hello, good evening, this is BBC One Wales. Now the BBC News with Clive Myrie. It's ten o'clock." Sportsday preview in the headlines.

Cavers getting a good outing this evening. Must be quite a problem to knock the building out for almost four hours.
DE
denton
I’m surprised the backup isn’t Points West. The nearest region to the most heavily populated part of Wales.

It's not so much about what the backup news service is, it's about what the backup for the whole channel is. BBC One Wales is more than just Wales Today. BBC NI is providing a back up for the channel. With only minutes notice it wouldn't be possible to get a broadcast feed of Points West, never mind finding an additional member of staff to put that to air.
JK
JKDerry
BBC Wales Today is back with their late night bulletin, but it looks like the autocue is not working.
WM
WMD
Wales Today has made it to air, though looks like no autocue and no Astons.
DE
denton
WMD posted:
I imagine that with a bit of notice they would have been able to get a feed from Points West or Midlands Today into Belfast.

Looks like BBC One Wales is simulcasting BBC One NI and BBC Two Wales is with network.

Belfast CA apologised to BBC One Wales viewers for the absence of opt-out programme Weatherman Walking at 7:30. Curious to see NI branded trails and idents going out in Wales - surely Network (and therefore regionally safe) would be better?

Network isn't necessarily regionally safe. It's likely that network would be running trails for programmes not being shown, or shown at different times, in Wales.

Also NI is the backup for the BBC One Wales channel, so will eventually provide as full a service as possible, including non news programming.
Last edited by denton on 16 August 2019 10:49pm
AndrewPSSP, Nick Harvey and scottishtv gave kudos

Newer posts