The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
Moz posted:
This is why the breaking news strap should be semi transparent.

Not sure that would help much.

WO
Worzel
Moz posted:

No, already a lost cause. Same goes for the contributor.
DE
deejay
The original policy for headline straps was I think that they should be two-lines, with the second line longer than the first. However for things like "Hong Kong protests" it's not really ideal to split Hong and Kong. Also there are some pictures that will naturally look better with only one line of text. There are also some stories that cannot easily be told in one line of text, so need to be split over two. It's really down to what works best with the pictures and what works best with the text.
MA
Markymark
Moz posted:

There are some ridiculously poorly framed Skype (other platforms are available) contributions,
quite honestly I'd expect 'media savvy' interviewees to largely sort themselves out, knowing that the bottom third of the picture is outside their 'safe zone', and selecting an appropriate non distracting background, but it doesn't seem to happen. Simon Calder seems the only regular who consistently gets it right, but he used to be a BBC (albeit radio) Studio Manager, so there you go.....

All that said, doesn't anyone at the studio end 'talk them in' with their framing ?
MO
Moz
Moz posted:

That’s a fantastic example of a terribly framed Skype - but I’d argue that it’s better with the transparent black strap. At least you can see more of here through it. Granted it’d be better if the whole screen was opaque for her.
JO
Jon
There was a shot of Anthony Davis in the report:

Yes, I did notice that. It took me a few seconds to clock what show it was during the headline sequence. I still took a few seconds to confirm by cross referencing with an image from Google.

This must be one of the largest audiences the show has had. It must be pleasing to Anthony Davis that he is still bringing joy to pensioners up and down the land nearly two decades after this sleeper hit was launched.

Will this new found popularity lead to a commission of a new series? Will the gambling commission take issue with the return of the show?

Mods, feel free to split the discussion, if you deem it to have gone to far off topic.
RD
RDJ
A Harry Gration and Sally Taylor reunion on today’s News Nationwide In Afternoon Live.

It even included Harry partaking in a spot of Morris Dancing!
Owen_ploc and Londoner gave kudos
ST
South Today
RDJ posted:
A Harry Gration and Sally Taylor reunion on today’s News Nationwide In Afternoon Live.

Was there any reference to their former partnership?
RD
RDJ
RDJ posted:

Was there any reference to their former partnership?

They all referred to it. Sally was particularly amused at watching him Morris Dancing. So was Simon!

Here’s the dancing:

ST
Stuart
Moz posted:
That’s a fantastic example of a terribly framed Skype - but I’d argue that it’s better with the transparent black strap. At least you can see more of here through it. Granted it’d be better if the whole screen was opaque for her.

Whenever I use Skype, I always have the box with my own cam image in the corner. Obviously Soubry didn't have that, as even without any graphics she was so badly framed.

I watched this interview, and laughed all the way through because of how it was displayed. I think I missed every word she said.

As others have said, if you're going to use tools such as Skype, get someone to talk to the participant before the interview begins.
CA
Capybara

As others have said, if you're going to use tools such as Skype, get someone to talk to the participant before the interview begins.

This video may be able to help - the creator explains what happens before the Skype contributor goes live:
HA
harshy Founding member
The original policy for headline straps was I think that they should be two-lines, with the second line longer than the first. However for things like "Hong Kong protests" it's not really ideal to split Hong and Kong. Also there are some pictures that will naturally look better with only one line of text. There are also some stories that cannot easily be told in one line of text, so need to be split over two. It's really down to what works best with the pictures and what works best with the text.

That’s wrong should be one like before.

Newer posts