The Gallery

BBC News in the style of The Nine

A look at what BBC News could look like if it adapted BBC Scotland's news graphics (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Hi,

Some of you may have seen the initial version of this mock in the old Reith thread during the speculation of what BBC News was going to look like after Reith was applied.

This thread shows ideas on what the individual BBC News shows would like like if BBC Scotland's The Nine graphics were applied, I've gone for individual looks and colour palettes and removed BBC News branding outside of the NC, which I think manages to separate each show but keeps a hint of unity.

So far I have only done Breakfast, Business Live, Sportsday and The BBC News at One... which seeing as this is inspired by The Nine, I'm trialing with the title of The One.

The main changes since I posted some of the videos in the Reith thread is the addition of The One and switching the previous News Channel ticker with a flipper, of which I'll explain more with the Sportsday video.

Starting with Breakfast...

Alongside the video here's a few static pictures which includes the split screen and a possible Breaking graphics (which would then switch to the main text)

Next is Business Live...

The One...

While I haven't made a video for the accompanying The Six and The Ten, here's one photo with the Six logo

Sportsday...

As this is a NC show, I've used a portion of the full programme to showcase the main NC graphics and how it works with the individual branding. Obviously the Sport yellow is used, but would change colour depending on the show being broadcast, with china red used on generic bulletins/The One/Six/Ten, the show logo also alternates with the BBC News logo every 45 seconds lasting for 15 before animating off.

The flipper I mentioned is also seen, I wanted to separate each section into colours (in a similar way to GMB), so Breaking maintains the old bold red, with Headlines keeping the darker red, Business is blue, Sport is yellow, and the Interactive (which is combined with Contact Us) uses the sort of duck egg blue used on the bullet point of the current NC graphics.

Some extra sections appear on the flipper, these are what I've chosen to call the 'slow news day' sections, these are sections which fill some space, but also provide some other information, the two I've added are for the BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds, these highlight that the NC is live on the iPlayer, but also news shows of interest that are available to watch (in the video these are Click, The Travel Show and Newsbeat Documentaries)... the same applies for Sounds, highlighting news coverage on Radio 4, Radio 5 Live and the World Service, as well as podcasts and catch-up items of possible interest (Brexitcast and Jeremy Vine).

As a flipper can sometimes restrict the amount of words used to describe a story, I've opted to add a headline box, which would flip on with the accompanying information, but wouldn't then flip off until the (multiple) pages of info are finished.

I hope you like what I have so far and will post further videos once they are ready.
Last edited by PATV Scunthorpe on 14 August 2019 7:50pm
AG
AxG
Why dream, when you can mock. Very Happy
BR
Brekkie
Loved these when you first posted them and still love them now. To be honest though although I appreciate the logo for "The One" I think it would be best to keep the BBC News branding for the BBC 1 bulletins - after all that is where most viewers engage with the BBC News brand. At most I'd go for the numeral in the headline sequence only, with BBC News then used throughout. Similarly for the regions I think for the sake of design and branding I wouldn't be trying to squeeze the regional brands into the square and instead just use the BBC News logo.

And obviously appreciate title wise you're limited by what is available and on the whole they work with the updated logos, with the exception of the main news titles.
BBI45 and PATV Scunthorpe gave kudos
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Loved these when you first posted them and still love them now. To be honest though although I appreciate the logo for "The One" I think it would be best to keep the BBC News branding for the BBC 1 bulletins - after all that is where most viewers engage with the BBC News brand. At most I'd go for the numeral in the headline sequence only, with BBC News then used throughout. Similarly for the regions I think for the sake of design and branding I wouldn't be trying to squeeze the regional brands into the square and instead just use the BBC News logo.

And obviously appreciate title wise you're limited by what is available and on the whole they work with the updated logos, with the exception of the main news titles.

Thank you to both you and AxG, I knew using The One, etc. would be a love or hate idea, I think it works and makes each bulletin stand out slightly, but I can understand why you think it should be uniform, I'd argue that the branding is only seen for a few seconds each time a name appears (plus the headlines) and most viewers may recognise it's BBC News from the studio by now, but that's just my opinion.

I agree that The One titles aren't the best, I couldn't really think of any other way to animate the logo.

I've just experimented with your comment on the regions, I think it could fit, Spotlight and Reporting Scotland carry the longest words in their names, but I think these sit rather comfortably, of course that's with a good quality picture, but I think it may just be legible on a screen bigger than my MacBook screen, even with a lower quality image

Owen_ploc and watchingtv gave kudos
MO
Moz
Love these so so much, BUT...

- agree with the comment above: the 1, 6 and 10 should have generic BBC News branding in the squares
- I don't think the line works with twitter handles in your example, the @ gets a bit close
- I don't think the line works with the flipper, a line over a block just doesn't look right in my view
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Moz posted:
Love these so so much, BUT...

- agree with the comment above: the 1, 6 and 10 should have generic BBC News branding in the squares
- I don't think the line works with twitter handles in your example, the @ gets a bit close
- I don't think the line works with the flipper, a line over a block just doesn't look right in my view

Thanks,

I think I'll meet somewhere in the middle, keep the lower thirds to the BBC News logo, with the only mentions of numbers within the titles, (removing the 'The', just replacing the numerals with the written version)

With the Twitter handles, your issue would have to be the The Nine themselves, I recreate my graphics by rebuilding them on top of a screenshot or a video (for animations), so the @ should be in the same location as The Nine's

In the same way as the One/Six/Ten branding, I also think the flipper is a love or hate item, the flipper was the hardest part to map out, I suppose it's one of the most 'mocky' parts of this, considering the rest is a recreation. I personally thought it fitted together quite well, how do you think it could be improved?

I thought there should be a separation between the main straps and the flipper as I didn't want the two to blend into one under the same design, I did also increase the gap between the line and the old ticker from the previous version to separate the two a little bit more, the same applies for adding transparency to the backing.
MO
Moz
With the Twitter handles, your issue would have to be the The Nine themselves, I recreate my graphics by rebuilding them on top of a screenshot or a video (for animations), so the @ should be in the same location as The Nine's

Perhaps its because of the dark purple, just seems to work better.

In the same way as the One/Six/Ten branding, I also think the flipper is a love or hate item, the flipper was the hardest part to map out, I suppose it's one of the most 'mocky' parts of this, considering the rest is a recreation. I personally thought it fitted together quite well, how do you think it could be improved?

Maybe if the flipper had the same transparent black background as the new Reith main straps with white text?
PP
Po6xyPop77
Wow, this is amazing!
I wish it was the official news graphics! I hope the BBC sees this! Very Happy
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Moz posted:

Maybe if the flipper had the same transparent black background as the new Reith main straps with white text?

I've had a play around, a black background could work, my main concern was it getting lost in the shadow used for the straps, but it still seems to show up... I also had to alter a few colours for it to work with the black, the dark red wouldn't show up so I've replace it for china red, and inverted the colours for Breaking...

And every other combination, I've included a new section at the bottom, as I saw the NC putting the paper headlines on the flipper the other day, so I've incorporated that with the branding from The Papers...
SR
SomeRandomStuff
Outstanding. (So good i logged in to comment for the first time in what feels like forever.) You've made giant leaps forward since your first mocks on this site, its great to see.

The overall branding is so strong at this point that i think banishing the BBC logo from the graphics of a lot of programmes including the BBC One bulletins would work very well. Put some subtle BBC Logos on the sets instead so they are in the background of certain shots and BBC logo Mugs on the desks.
UBox and PATV Scunthorpe gave kudos
CA
Capybara
Amazing, but one tiny thing about the flipper - it's meant for news content. With the amount of promotional content for the BBC on there (with entire sections for Interactive, iPlayer and Sounds) the flipper would not be able to serve its purpose, which IMO is for people tuning in to the News Channel to quickly be caught up with the main stories, not learn what's on Kermode and Mayo's Film Review...
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Thanks SomeRandomStuff and Capybara

Amazing, but one tiny thing about the flipper - it's meant for news content. With the amount of promotional content for the BBC on there (with entire sections for Interactive, iPlayer and Sounds) the flipper would not be able to serve its purpose, which IMO is for people tuning in to the News Channel to quickly be caught up with the main stories, not learn what's on Kermode and Mayo's Film Review...

As I said in the first post (but I guess it is somewhat buried in that big post), the iPlayer and Sounds sections wouldn't be used during heavy news periods, I called them the 'slow news day' sections, if they were to be light on stories to place on the flipper, those two sections help to fill it out a bit, even if it was just to point out that the NC can be watched on iPlayer (which the current flipper points out) and news updates on the radio. The two sections would probably mostly be used on weekends as a sort of "hey, you're watching this... you may also like this", but it the main headlines and breaking take the main priority
Jeffmister, JosiahStuart and Capybara gave kudos

Newer posts