« Topics
Mouseboy332,644 posts since 10 Feb 2014
Im sure FOX will have some Intl resources to lean on, but certainly no where near as much as what SKYNEWS bought to the table at the time. I dont watch FNC, but I cant imagine they had a reporter in the airport like SkyNews and the 2 reporters that CNN had in the airport at the time.
I'm here to give you something to talk about!
https://youtu.be/JSy2SVdtd0U
Rkolsen2,753 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World
MSNBC simulcasting Sky News coverage from Hong Kong this afternoon, and NBCNews.com streaming Sky on their website (oddly, in preference over MSNBC?)

I think that’s a first in terms of collaboration between the two, and assume that Sky’s partnership with ABC and Fox has now ended. Neither were taking feeds from Sky that I saw.

Sky’s coverage has been first class this afternoon.

NBC News doesn’t want to give MSNBC away for free aside from breaking news. However yo may see msnbc on YouTube live In between NBC News Special Reports.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Mouseboy33 gave kudos
cat2,565 posts since 4 Jan 2003
I assume because they get paid for its carriage on cable, and don’t want to discourage new sign ups?

Sky has the same mentality for years with Sky News (see Sky vs BBC court case at European Court) then eventually took the approach of “free, everywhere” and I think that’s served them very well.

I just thought it was odd given that MSNBC was essentially simulcasting Sky anyway that they didn’t just live stream that.

Prob reading too much into it, but imagine they will take the same “free, everywhere” approach with their new joint news channel, and use it as a way to stream live events like this online.

Edit: I’ve not really watched much msnbc but from what I saw it seemed to take Sky coverage, and intersperse it with political commentary and speculation about politics. Does it actually do hard news, or is it purely intended as a political talk network? (Genuine question)
London Lite10,450 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London

Edit: I’ve not really watched much msnbc but from what I saw it seemed to take Sky coverage, and intersperse it with political commentary and speculation about politics. Does it actually do hard news, or is it purely intended as a political talk network? (Genuine question)

The channel is largely opinion led news talk, slanted towards the Democratic Party viewpoint. Similar to Fox News in that opinion led topical conversation is what brings in the numbers.
freddied056591 posts since 29 Dec 2016
Meridian (South) South Today

The channel is largely opinion led news talk, slanted towards the Democratic Party viewpoint. Similar to Fox News in that opinion led topical conversation is what brings in the numbers.

Indeed. You’ve got shows like ‘MSNBC Live’ with Craig Melvin, Katy Tur et al, which is supposed to be impartial full news (same with MTP Daily, Mitchell Reports etc), and then you have shows like The Rachel Maddow Show which is opinion lead
cat2,565 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Tragic really. Looking through their website I could hardly find a single international news story.

You couldn’t rely on any of the US news networks as your single source of news - yet I suspect many do. You’d be utterly clueless about the world.

CNN is almost as bad.

Back on topic: presumably Ian King Live’s CNBC co-located studio will appear in a few weeks once September comes.
WW Update gave kudos
FranceTV6 posts since 30 Jan 2018

Back on topic: presumably Ian King Live’s CNBC co-located studio will appear in a few weeks once September comes.

A new set has appeared in the background on CNBC this week: presumably this is it?

Rkolsen2,753 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World
Tragic really. Looking through their website I could hardly find a single international news story.

You couldn’t rely on any of the US news networks as your single source of news - yet I suspect many do. You’d be utterly clueless about the world.

CNN is almost as bad.

MSNBC.com solely exists for their shows and isn’t the go to place for news. It’s not really promoted but some shows do regular blog posts of what they’re looking at, reading and guests for the night.

Most people in the US know you go to NBCNews.com for news. Before when everything was MSNBC.com things were mixed up with some of their opinion clips mixed in with news.

I mainly watch MSNBC and they do cover a decent amount of news during the dayside but they do rely heavily on pundits or commentators (not as much as CNN or Fox) with one or two (where often one is a reporter). That being said it’s nothing like it was before where the dayside shows were mainly (and openly) opinion based.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Mouseboy33 gave kudos
JKDerry1,665 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline

CNN is almost as bad.

MSNBC.com solely exists for their shows and isn’t the go to place for news. It’s not really promoted but some shows do regular blog posts of what they’re looking at, reading and guests for the night.

Most people in the US know you go to NBCNews.com for news. Before when everything was MSNBC.com things were mixed up with some of their opinion clips mixed in with news.

I mainly watch MSNBC and they do cover a decent amount of news during the dayside but they do rely heavily on pundits or commentators (not as much as CNN or Fox) with one or two (where often one is a reporter). That being said it’s nothing like it was before where the dayside shows were mainly (and openly) opinion based.

How is Fox News doing in the ratings now? It has been years since I watched it - I think way back when I had Sky. Apparently MSNBC are not far behind them in ratings.

MSNBC Brian Williams 11th Hour has beaten the Fox News rival, as has Rachel Maddow who has beaten the slime ball Sean Hannity I believe.

And before anyone starts - Yes, that is my opinion on Sean Hannity.
Rogo23 gave kudos
cityprod1,961 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight

CNN is almost as bad.

How is Fox News doing in the ratings now? It has been years since I watched it - I think way back when I had Sky. Apparently MSNBC are not far behind them in ratings.

MSNBC Brian Williams 11th Hour has beaten the Fox News rival, as has Rachel Maddow who has beaten the slime ball Sean Hannity I believe.

The latest figures for Wednesday Night show Fox News peaking at almost 3.5 million viewers, MSNBC peaking at just over 2.5 million, and CNN way off the pace with a peak of over 1.2 million. MSNBC win the 4pm and 11pm hours, with Fox News winning every hour in between.
JKDerry1,665 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline

The latest figures for Wednesday Night show Fox News peaking at almost 3.5 million viewers, MSNBC peaking at just over 2.5 million, and CNN way off the pace with a peak of over 1.2 million. MSNBC win the 4pm and 11pm hours, with Fox News winning every hour in between.

Isn't the key demos important too with US news channels, the 18-49 group. That is where the money is made from advertisers, and I think that is where MSNBC is successful, as Fox News ageing audience continues to get older, whilst MSNBC attract the younger and more valuable audience share.