TV Home Forum

CBS and Viacom Merge becomes VIACOMCBS

CBS Corp and MTV parent companies back together again since 2006 (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Star Trek's TV and Movie owners have merged again, and both can share with each other again without licensing or special arrangements.

As Spock would say, that is logical

MD
mdtauk
Its one of the reasons they stated for the merger. Also I heard rumours there are future plans to bid for Discovery Communications, and possibly Sony Pictures.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/if-cbs-viacom-reunite-more-mergers-could-be-way-n1036476
TM
tmf9
What actually caused them to split up in the first place (I've always assumed it was something to do with the Janet Jackson Superbowl incident, as CBS was in charge of the game and MTV were in charge of the halftime show)

The split wasn't caused by the Superbowl incident, but was driven by the poor share price of the combined company. Shareholders felt that the "old media" (CBS) side was dragging down the "new media" (MTV Networks) side of the business. There was also an internal power struggle between the co-presidents, one of whom was from CBS and the other from MTV. The parent company (National Amusements) felt that splitting the business was the best solution, although they always remained sister companies with the same parent.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/8219102/ns/business-us_business/t/viacom-board-approves-plan-split-company/#.XVPnq-hKiUk
TT
TellyTime
C5 probably won't change much, but if they wanted to use the power of CBS to relaunch it I think closing it and replacing it with a CBS branded channel would be the way to go. Frankly there are probably only 4 brands on C5 worth keeping - Neighbours, Home and Away, Jeremy Vine and Milkshake. Beyond that it is a clean slate.

I think it's highly unlikely that ViacomCBS would interfere with the Channel 5 brand in the UK, in the same way that they have Network 10 in Australia.

The channels that seem at risk are the CBS branded ones in partnership with AMC Networks International such as CBS Reality, CBS Justice and CBS Drama, plus the Horror Channel. However, I think there's plenty of room in the UK market for these alongside the Channel 5 network.
OR
orange
Why am I imagining people trying to poorly mock up a rebrand of Channel 5 called ‘CB5’ in the gallery?
chrisdafur and DeMarkay gave kudos
DM
DeMarkay
_Tom_ posted:
Why am I imagining people trying to poorly mock up a rebrand of Channel 5 called ‘CB5’ in the gallery?

You’ve just given me an idea! Laughing
JC
JamieCB
_Tom_ posted:

'CB5' - that's quite a genius idea there! Laughing
JB
JasonB
_Tom_ posted:

'CB5' - that's quite a genius idea there! Laughing

Somewhere a tower is slowly tumbling with all these new names.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Here is a interesting little documentary about CBS/UPN/WB/PARAMOUNT/CW and rise and fall of all it . Its complicated and odd. But finally they are all reformed to become one company again.

A surprisingly interesting and well made video. Thanks for sharing that!
NL
Ne1L C
Thanks for that posting. Superb video.
RE
Rexogamer
If they did rebrand C5 for some reason, I feel CBS UK would be a probable pick.
MO
Mouseboy33
Here is the 2nd part of the CBS/WB/CW/UPN/VIACOM video. Its equally complicated but wholy interesting to those of us that enjoy the business of tv.

Newer posts