TV Home Forum

Channel Television during the 1979 ITV Strike

How did it continue broadcasting? (June 2019)

MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
I was born during the strike, apparently I was more interested in pooing than tv.

I was born 9 months after the Cuban Missile Crisis Laughing
PP
Po6xyPop77 (previously Myina) UTV Newsline
I was born 10 years after the Bosnian Army executed a surprise attack on the village of Kravica in Srebrenica! Y’all are old! Razz
Retired from TVForum.
FO
FanOfTV99 Granada North West Today
Myina posted:
I was born 10 years after the Bosnian Army executed a surprise attack on the village of Kravica in Srebrenica! Y’all are old! Razz

...Ok then
Stay Safe.

You'll Never Walk Alone
PP
Listening to the song that played when ITV came back on makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, to be honest. Must've been a day for celebration. Well, tbh, the song is annoying, but it still makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
Last edited by Po6xyPop77 on 12 August 2019 12:46pm
Retired from TVForum.
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
Myina posted:
Listening to the song that played when ITV came back on makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, to be honest. Must've been a day for celebration.

Yes, the streets of the UK were lined with bunting, mostly repurposed from the 1977 Silver Jubilee
PP
Why, that's lovely! What was ITV playing before the strike?
Retired from TVForum.
JK
JKDerry UTV Newsline
Daytime television was important though, especially during the summer months when the kids were off.

Really ? Were you a child, or an adult in 1979 ? I was the former, and it really wasn't a big deal for either I seem to recall

That is your personal point of view, this was mine. Each to their own.
RO
robertclark125 STV Central Reporting Scotland
Did Channel TV do their own Sunday morning religious service, like Morning Worship, during the strike?
NG
noggin Founding member
Did Channel TV do their own Sunday morning religious service, like Morning Worship, during the strike?

I don't think Channel TV had much in the way of OB facilities did they?
SC
Si-Co Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I was born during the strike, apparently I was more interested in pooing than tv.

I wonder if there was a “baby boom” in the UK nine months after the strike? Or did people just watch the BBC rather than have an early night? 😜
CEEFAX SUBTITLES BEGIN SHORTLY
NI
nigel Meridian (South) South East Today

And digital spy is that way <
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
nigel posted:

And digital spy is that way <

Good point, off you trot then....

Newer posts