TV Home Forum

New BBC Sport Football set

The Theatre of Sport (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
You have to say Blue Peter has dumbed down. The clip is confusing because the presenter sounds exactly like Konnie Huq and Konnie Huq appears to be there.

That massive studio feels a lot more like Blue Peter though.
TC
TCOTV
The green screen looks permanent. I wonder what will happen about other shows like Saturday Mash Up. They have said a new series of Mash Up will start in the new year. I guess they could empty HQ5 in that time or just use a studio down stairs.
JO
Jon
I don’t know why people think it would be so difficult to take down a green cloth, compared to some of the other set changes that occur in studios everyday.

I can’t see them wanting to do Saturday Mash Up from that studio leaving little turn around time for Football Focus.
BR
Brekkie
What exactly is the studio situation at Salford then as far as the BBC are concerned?
NI
nigel
That VR looks horrible, cheap and nasty.
IS
Inspector Sands

It was interesting how Dan mentioned football programmes would be coming from there, then thinking about it I can’t remember the HQ3 set being used for anything other than football, where the old TVC sets would be. Is it a done thing that other sports are presented on location only?

HQ3 was only used by them for Match of The Day, it is a large studio with audience seating for 200 so it's used for all sorts of programmes. At TVC, TC5 was home to BBC Sport so that was used for everything. In Salford they have several studios/studio spaces in the BBC building

I imagine that hiring HQ3 once a week was problematic for Dock10, difficult to fit in long term bookings when there's a regular one every Saturday night
GE
thegeek Founding member
I'm all for AR, it can be really useful in cleverly presenting facts and figures, etc... but I have yet to see a VR set that I actually like. I think one of the big problems is when they're created by graphic designers with no experience of, or talent for, set design.

Much of the imagery in the IKEA catalogue is computer generated - but they've trained their CGI artists to be photographers, and their photographers to be CGI artists, so that they can get a better understanding of how each other works. And it works pretty effectively.

I've just watched some MOTD, and what they're doing isn't a terrible concept, it just feels too shiny. The floor looks so polished that if it was real, I'd be worried about someone slipping on it.

I understand the financial benefit of them using a smaller studio space and all - I just think that VR sets work better when they look a bit more like something you could actually build. ITV News might not look very exciting, but it just about passes for a real set, and that's why it works.
FA
fanoftv
I just think that VR sets work better when they look a bit more like something you could actually build. ITV News might not look very exciting, but it just about passes for a real set, and that's why it works.

I agree with this statement. Just compare the previous ITV News set with the vast space and shiny yellow lines and columns to the current. Part of me feels like the replacement of the larger screen for facts, etc. pushes it a little, but a large screen is something that you’d expect to see in a TV studio.

What I don’t understand with the BBC Football set is where the studio is supposed to be placed. The faux ceiling implies that it’s beneath tiered seating, so is it supposed to be some sort of cornered pitch level box?

A random observation but I notice from Dan’s explanation video, the Blue Peter clip and the Tez O’Clock Show that the studio walls are visible, obviously not an issue for BBC Sport, but is it a stylised addition or do that lack the simple black/lit cloth at Media City?
NG
noggin Founding member

A random observation but I notice from Dan’s explanation video, the Blue Peter clip and the Tez O’Clock Show that the studio walls are visible, obviously not an issue for BBC Sport, but is it a stylised addition or do that lack the simple black/lit cloth at Media City?

It's likely to be a style choice. You can see the cyc rail is being used for the green curtain for the BBC Sport VR set, if you wanted a black cyc for your set, you'd just hang those from the cyc rail instead (or star cloth, or other cyc material) Cyc rails are pretty standard in any studio, and studios will almost always have black cyc (often a heavyish Bolton Twill or similar) available as an option.
HA
harshy Founding member
nigel posted:
That VR looks horrible, cheap and nasty.

I actually quite like it...
JO
Jon
I think the set looked even better for Match of the Day and Match of the Day 2. I think I'm sold on it now.

I think this is going to come into it's own during the Euros when they'll almost certainly be based in Salford for the non-British isles games, but will be able to use cameras in venue cities and the stadiums for the background.
Last edited by Jon on 11 August 2019 11:24pm - 2 times in total
CY
cylon6
Well I like the set. Great for the viewers, boring for the people working in front of it.

Newer posts