The Newsroom

BBC Newsline

Northern Ireland (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
Couldn't find a suitable thread so started a new one...

BBC One NI lost the sound from the News at Ten, during Laura Kuenssberg's report, instead we heard the sound of the Newsline presenter mouse clicking and tapping at a keyboard for a few minutes, she briefly appeared in vision before cutting back to the Ten and eventually getting the sound back.

(I have no idea why it is flipped, this was my second attempt at uploading a video that's perfectly fine on my desktop)
Last edited by dvboy on 10 April 2019 11:01pm - 4 times in total
MA
Markymark
dvboy posted:

(I have no idea why it is flipped,

Don't worry
https://youtu.be/V_tZJGniorA?t=330
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I'm making assumptions here about what might have caused that, but do BBC galleries get any warning light etc under the control of pres when they are on air these days? I know they used to.
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm making assumptions here about what might have caused that, but do BBC galleries get any warning light etc under the control of pres when they are on air these days? I know they used to.

I've no idea about Belfast but it was the case at TVC until the turn of the century.

There were control lines that triggered the on air lights in the studios when they were on air. For various reasons it was discontinued and of course these days every studio except news is effectively an OB. I think the weather studios might have been an exception, press still start a timer in the weather studio that counts down their bulletins.

I think BBC radio in W1 has an auto red light system
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Thanks. My thought was that the Newsline studio might have believed it was out of circuit and free to rehearse?

I can't remember whether NI soft opt the news or if pres do it all, I have a feeling it changed for HD.

121 days later

UK
UKNewsHound
I don't normally watch BBC Newsline but what on earth is going on with the weather?

It couldn't look any more 'off the shelf' if they tried.

If you want to do weather a bit differently, BBC Scotland's The Nine have it just right with their AR.

BR
Brekkie
Actually think NI do that better. Scotlands effort is pointless - they might as well use the real screen.
JO
Jon
I agree the Scotland effort is a bit pointless as what they gain in looking stylish they lose in functionality as they’re only able to gesture towards the map.

But that Northern Ireland effort looks horrible, it’s completely off brand and indeed looks like they’ve decided to use a TriCaster virtual set.
:-(
A former member
I don’t understand the Newsline one. Are we supposed to think the whole set is open air or something?

Agree that the Scotland one is a bit pointless too. Doesn’t really fit with how slick everything else is.
UKNewsHound, chevron and Jon gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
I don’t understand the Newsline one. Are we supposed to think the whole set is open air or something?

Agree that the Scotland one is a bit pointless too. Doesn’t really fit with how slick everything else is.

I am pretty sure the Scottish weather presenter got it wrong and ended up behind the graphics and couldn’t work out which side to step Laughing
MW
Mike W
Oh yes, another BBC News NI 'we're different because we can be' creation. Like their headline sequences of the past, the dog, their previous adaptations of the set in the early corporate years...

What's wrong with a screen, and the weather. It doesn't need a 'my first online stream virtual set' for the weather. It's revolting.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I don't mind the BBC Scotland map, but the NI one is truly horrendous.

Newer posts