The Newsroom

The new NEW Central West and BBC Midlands thread

(January 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MW
Mike W
A lot more in set graphics on Midlands Today are using reith and reith sans.

Graphics department getting ahead of themselves or a soft launch?
WH
what
Moz posted:
That does seem a possibility, particularly with Deejay's comment upthread. Perhaps doing some testing of the new look and didn't switch everything back to normal, so that's a hybrid of the new and old, which is why it looks crap?

Wishful thinking. It’s not a hybrid of new and old... they are the new lower thirds pan BBC News.

There are more elements of course. This showcases the basic main strap.

Pan-BBC News?

Yes. They’ve been talking for a while about being more inclusive...

10 days later

MO
Moz
RDJ posted:

Interesting....

I can only assume that the whole look will need changing if they're going to go for these graphics. The black astons don't suit when the titles and the look are all white.

The way it pops up is quite nice. But the Midlands Today logo is horrific. Reith just does not look good like that for a main logo at all.

Did anyone capture the video of this? Would be nice to look at how they animate again as it looks like we'll be getting this across all BBC News a week tomorrow.
MW
Mike W
Moz posted:
RDJ posted:

Interesting....

I can only assume that the whole look will need changing if they're going to go for these graphics. The black astons don't suit when the titles and the look are all white.

The way it pops up is quite nice. But the Midlands Today logo is horrific. Reith just does not look good like that for a main logo at all.

Did anyone capture the video of this? Would be nice to look at how they animate again as it looks like we'll be getting this across all BBC News a week tomorrow.

I have a video that I used to create the GIF a few pages back.
MW
Mike W
In case anyone wanted to see the animation

Pretty beefy GIF file

50 days later

MW
Mike W
Midlands Today have taken the steps necessary to update their backdrop with the Reith launch - something if I'm honest I wasn't expecting.

24 days later

DV
dvboy
I wonder what Plan B is?

VM
VMPhil
dvboy posted:
I wonder what Plan B is?

‘The Best of the Weather’?
Brekkie and Critique gave kudos
AG
AxG
dvboy posted:
I wonder what Plan B is?

DV
dvboy
Seems everything was OK in the end.
RD
RDJ
Plan B was to do the weather preview at the start of the programme within the Newsroom at the Weather computer as per Shefali’s picture.

By the time of the actual forecast everything went out as normal.
MI
TheMike
ITV News Central looked back at the ITV strike 40 years ago. Catch up on +1 within the next 25 minutes.

Newer posts