The Gallery

BBC: Square/Icon Rebrand 2019

Bringing the BBC back it's consistency. (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FG
FraserGJ
I broadly like this concept, I'm not sure on some of the specific logos though - not sure of the typeface on the 1 in the BBC One logo and the BBC Two logo looks like a silhouette of a river or something (maybe the curve should be narrower).

One of the previous comments mentioned the lack of a logo for Cbeebies - one way you could do this is to squish some of the yellow bugs into the square logo style - as part of the branding they can "burst" out to form the current logo.
JF
JetixFann450
I broadly like this concept, I'm not sure on some of the specific logos though - not sure of the typeface on the 1 in the BBC One logo and the BBC Two logo looks like a silhouette of a river or something (maybe the curve should be narrower).

One of the previous comments mentioned the lack of a logo for Cbeebies - one way you could do this is to squish some of the yellow bugs into the square logo style - as part of the branding they can "burst" out to form the current logo.

I tried to make the logo including the bugs, but it ended up being a bit too cramped and overloaded in my eyes. This is what I've decided to go with.

As for your BBC2 suggestion, I do think the current design I've went for just makes the curve look very odd beside the actual idents. This is what I may decide on implementing:
SP
Spencer
Definitely getting vibes of this...
Wink
JF
JetixFann450

Slight modification of the BBC4 logo.
CA
Capybara
Your BBC Four ideas work well, but the gap makes it look like the end of the BBC doesn't line up with the end of the 4.
Brekkie, lukeshep and AxG gave kudos
JF
JetixFann450
Your BBC Four ideas work well, but the gap makes it look like the end of the BBC doesn't line up with the end of the 4.

I actually think your suggestion works better, as it lines up with the "C" of the BBC blocks. Only downside is that I've had to resize the "4" and basically cut off the tip at the left side.

I also decided to create an intro for iPlayer, utilizing the ideas.

Last edited by JetixFann450 on 3 August 2019 7:23pm - 2 times in total
SH
Sh1ruba
Have you thought of any ideas for the BBC's radio stations and how they might look?
Cos I was thinking the "BBC Radio" logo would be at the top of the icon.
Also I still think BBC Three should be keeping their II! icon...
JF
JetixFann450
Have you thought of any ideas for the BBC's radio stations and how they might look?

I only did 3 radio stations, BBC Radio 1, 2 and 3 because in my eyes, I think the circle system that the radio stations use are more unique and makes sure that the common listener doesn't confuse it with the television channels. I may do other radio stations later, but I don't see having to use the system for radio would make sense, as it would confuse the viewer.

Radio 1 would make sense with the current system, as it's more featured prominently in iPlayer for video content but with the rest of the stations I think the circles make more sense.
SH
Sh1ruba

I only did 3 radio stations, BBC Radio 1, 2 and 3 because in my eyes, I think the circle system that the radio stations use are more unique and makes sure that the common listener doesn't confuse it with the television channels. I may do other radio stations later, but I don't see having to use the system for radio would make sense, as it would confuse the viewer.

Radio 1 would make sense with the current system, as it's more featured prominently in iPlayer for video content but with the rest of the stations I think the circles make more sense.

You should really change the BBC3 icon to the II! one they have now though.

It looks more digital and unique. Just a number 3 is just unsuitable for the brand...
SH
Sh1ruba
Are you listening, JetixFann?
RO
rob Founding member
Are you listening, JetixFann?

Don't be so bloody rude.
JF
JetixFann450

Are you happy now? I'm not really a fan of the II! logo.
Plus, if the whole BBC network of channels was rebranded, it would make no sense that BBC3 would be left out.

You don't have to be so rude about it though. Rolling Eyes

Newer posts