The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
That’s bits of equipment being connected to a new Mosart system which Chris is in the process of setting up. Essentially Green means mosart can see it, red means it can’t. That can either be because it’s offline or manually been put into standby mode by mosart.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but would Viz Opus be a good way to launch HD broadcasts from the regions. It has 8 HD-SDI inputs, connect it to a Black Magic Router, new cameras and some Ravens for set playout and you would be good to go. It would cut down on a lot of the expenses if they went the piecemeal or HD equivalent of VILOR.

I can see two small flaws with your plan. The first is that the distribution chain is still based on SD, and it's not trivial to put HD in the local muxes; or cheap to put another dozen HD services on DSat.
The other is that, while they're cheap and cheerful, I wouldn't put anything that said Blackmagic on it anywhere near the path of a live TX chain.
dosxuk, Markymark and London Lite gave kudos
DE
deejay
That’s bits of equipment being connected to a new Mosart system which Chris is in the process of setting up. Essentially Green means mosart can see it, red means it can’t. That can either be because it’s offline or manually been put into standby mode by mosart.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but would Viz Opus be a good way to launch HD broadcasts from the regions. It has 8 HD-SDI inputs, connect it to a Black Magic Router, new cameras and some Ravens for set playout and you would be good to go. It would cut down on a lot of the expenses if they went the piecemeal or HD equivalent of VILOR.

Don’t think opus is flexible enough for the regions (though it would be good for bulletin opts like Breakfast). But at 1830 even sub opt programmes include more than 8 sources routinely. A full half hour opt will include many more. Opus does incorporate the graphics and lower thirds into it admittedly but there’d still be a requirement for more than 8 sources. (Unless I’ve misunderstood its limitations).
PA
Parker
Lukwesa Burak seems to be struggling lately with presenting on the News channel.
HA
harshy Founding member
Lukwesa Burak seems to be struggling lately with presenting on the News channel.

Maybe she dosent like the new graphics...
RN
Rolling News

Why what’s she been like? I don’t get to watch the NC very often at weekends.
RK
Rkolsen

I can see two small flaws with your plan. The first is that the distribution chain is still based on SD, and it's not trivial to put HD in the local muxes; or cheap to put another dozen HD services on DSat.
The other is that, while they're cheap and cheerful, I wouldn't put anything that said Blackmagic on it anywhere near the path of a live TX chain.

I was just making a suggestion as to getting them to HD infrastructure in the buildings. Where they’d be using the same software and equipment that the network uses.
I know some Black Magic isn’t that user friendly. Yet I’m seeing it in a lot of smaller new installs particularly SNG and smaller OB vans and in a few smaller network affiliates.

Don’t think opus is flexible enough for the regions (though it would be good for bulletin opts like Breakfast). But at 1830 even sub opt programmes include more than 8 sources routinely. A full half hour opt will include many more. Opus does incorporate the graphics and lower thirds into it admittedly but there’d still be a requirement for more than 8 sources. (Unless I’ve misunderstood its limitations).

Opus I believe is flexible to control and select sources from the router. KITV in Hawaii went HD using Opus, they had five cameras and several OS that could be switched.
MO
Moz

Maybe she dosent like the new graphics...

That’s just you. 😘
WO
Worzel

Could say the same about Carrie Gracie too. Her delivery seems to be a bit 'off' (trouble getting words out and speaking through her nose) and seems to get caught out looking at the wrong camera quite a bit. I don't know what it is, but she seems to have lost her zing.

I thought it was just a matter of being out of practice from her time in the field but she's been covering shifts on the news channel for well over a year and not much has changed.

(This is not a have a go at Carrie post, I think she used to be excellent but don't quite know what's up).
TV
TVInfoSource

Agreed
BR
Brekkie
Re: Carrie. Is it simply a case of carrying (no pun intended) a 2-3 hour shift on your own being more difficult than co-hosting as she skd previously?
AndrewPSSP and Spencer gave kudos
MA
Markymark

I know some Black Magic isn’t that user friendly.

It's not so much that, BM kit packs a lot of functionality into a small space etc, but with respect it's for ad-hoc set ups, most of it has no redundancy capability, so as others have pointed out you really wouldn't want to use it in your main 24/7 output chains
RN
Rolling News
Re: Carrie. Is it simply a case of carrying (no pun intended) a 2-3 hour shift on your own being more difficult than co-hosting as she skd previously?

Surely it's easier because you only have to focus on what the directors telling you to do, and not your co presenter, and there's less chance of tripping up on each others lines?

Newer posts