« Topics
Riaz614 posts since 6 Jan 2016
In Singapore there was a use of full field teletext to send back pages of information over the air as the return path if a Prestel like system. You had your own page address for “your” page
A sort if very early internet/ google like system

How actually did this work and what did the user end equipment look like?
noggin14,628 posts since 26 Jun 2001
In Singapore there was a use of full field teletext to send back pages of information over the air as the return path if a Prestel like system. You had your own page address for “your” page
A sort if very early internet/ google like system

How actually did this work and what did the user end equipment look like?

I'm imagining you tuned the channel that had the full-frame teletext, entered text mode, dialled an access number and used the tone keypad on your phone as the reverse channel - either being given a page number when you called or having your 'own'?

Prestel in the UK ran using 1200/75 baud modems - but AIUI the system could have run with a 1200 baud half-duplex modem only, and a touch phone for the user control for the basic page selection (which were based on *800# style page numbers. However email was already becoming a thing - and a 75 baud modem back-channel allowed for alpha numeric text entry.
It's difficult to deny that teletext was a successful technology in Britain and several other nations but, unlike HTML, it was never deployed to its full potential.

The Ceefax and Oracle services were worthy and befitting for a 'main' TV channel but I see them as only the tip of an iceberg of what the chipsets could have been used for.
Come on then clever clogs, what else could the chipsets have been used for?

I'm sure that you are able to come up with something...

Semiconductor manufacturers are known to give away free samples of a particular IC as part of a competition to design and build the most ingenius gadget with it.

I'm surprised that nobody has followed up my comment about the smart TVs with integrated MSX computers and how they can run apps using software distributed by incorporating the code into the VBI.
Technologist81 posts since 10 Oct 2018
London London
For those who care about Teletext can I report that Bernadette Rogers
who led the UKs Standardisation of Teletext has passed away.
Obit in RTS journal
https://rts.org.uk/article/obituary-bernadette-rogers-1929-2019
(also an Fellow of IET)

His role in getting Teletext on the International stage is often overlooked,
.. partly due to his great personal Interest in getting it documented in all its forms.
The "Green Book" is one of my Treasured Possessions.
Riaz gave kudos
thegeek5,102 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
This video about Closed Captioning touches on Teletext - and partly on why it didn't catch on in the US.

(He's promised a Teletext video at some point in time)
AndrewPSSP and WW Update gave kudos