TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

If VM wanted to it shouldn't be too difficult for them to provide a circuit from BBC Salford to the local head end and have it fed with the output of the local opt switch? (Technically rather than BBC politically, anyway)

I can see several issues with that. Firstly do VM have local head ends?

Secondly every BBC service goes through a central location before being handed over or sent out for distribution. They can switch between paths if there's an issue or substitute another region if one is out of action. Bypassing that removes that resiliance and control - they could end up with Virgin carrying something that other platforms aren't.
VM
VMPhil
By the way, it appears the test feed that was carrying BBC One has now switched to showing Sky Sports, so it may have just been the national BBC One HD and not an HD version of North West.
MA
Markymark

If VM wanted to it shouldn't be too difficult for them to provide a circuit from BBC Salford to the local head end and have it fed with the output of the local opt switch? (Technically rather than BBC politically, anyway)

I can see several issues with that. Firstly do VM have local head ends?

Secondly every BBC service goes through a central location before being handed over or sent out for distribution. They can switch between paths if there's an issue or substitute another region if one is out of action. Bypassing that removes that resiliance and control - they could end up with Virgin carrying something that other platforms aren't.

Plus, what feed would BBC NW opt out of ?

If they use the BBC 1HD England feed, (assuming it was made available), that has the red screen of death during opts, no good for fallback. Also their output would need to be down converted to feed the SD platforms, not part of BBC ER architecture.

There seems to be rather a lot of wishful thinking going on, when my suspicion is it'll be nothing more than BBC NW SD in an MPEG4 HD 'wrapper'
AS
Asa Admin
Interesting switcharoo last night where Dean announcing on BBC Two moved over to BBC One for the post midnight junctions while Jenny, announcing all evening on One, introduced the final programme on Two (albeit with a very generic warning announcement).

I’m sure it’s happened many a time, just the first I’ve noticed.
VM
VMPhil

There seems to be rather a lot of wishful thinking going on, when my suspicion is it'll be nothing more than BBC NW SD in an MPEG4 HD 'wrapper'

Confused I was just reporting what was being discussed on another forum, and backed up with data from the DigitalBitrate website. Can you blame people for wishful thinking though, it’s been nine years since BBC One HD launched and still no regional news.
Lou Scannon and Capybara gave kudos
MA
Markymark

Confused I was just reporting what was being discussed on another forum, and backed up with data from the DigitalBitrate website. Can you blame people for wishful thinking though, it’s been nine years since BBC One HD launched and still no regional news.

Oh, no criticism implied, sorry if it came over that way, I do agree BBC HD regions are woefully overdue, but I don't think the Virgin observations are a sign of that changing
LL
London Lite Founding member
The DS thread is proper headbanging stuff. One things they can provide a feed to Virgin direct without any change in infrastructure because BBC One NW has a HD gallery.
LS
Lou Scannon
I despise the Red Screen of Death "solution", with a passion.

Bring back UK Today!

Or... have editions of Sportsday that are structured to start/end as per the regional news bulletins, so they can be simulcast on BBC One HD.

Or... Simulcast whatever the NC is showing (Sportsday or otherwise), but make the effort to have a clean outro - e.g. "now we say goodbye to viewers on BBC One" - for where the in-lieu-of-regional-news slot ends.
MA
Markymark
I despise the Red Screen of Death "solution", with a passion.

Bring back UK Today!

Or... have editions of Sportsday that are structured to start/end as per the regional news bulletins, so they can be simulcast on BBC One HD.

Or... Simulcast whatever the NC is showing (Sportsday or otherwise), but make the effort to have a clean outro - e.g. "now we say goodbye to viewers on BBC One" - for where the in-lieu-of-regional-news slot ends.

As the London region represents about 25% of England's population, they could just carry BBC London News on BBC 1 HD, and at a stroke 1 in 4 viewers would at least get their local news in HD.
IS
Inspector Sands
The DS thread is proper headbanging stuff. One things they can provide a feed to Virgin direct without any change in infrastructure because BBC One NW has a HD gallery.

No, see my reply above
JO
Josh
Just before the Six today there was a promo for MoTD with a new style promo endboard. Is this a one off or could we be seeing a new style endboard rolled out across all of BBC One?
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Josh posted:
Just before the Six today there was a promo for MoTD with a new style promo endboard. Is this a one off or could we be seeing a new style endboard rolled out across all of BBC One?

Looked more likely to be a Sport thing.

Newer posts