« Topics
Ne1L C983 posts since 11 Sep 2011
Notice that the only clips in the menu promo are for programmes that Thames would have had locally. Presumably no chance of getting a clip of that nights Coronation Street or 321 sent down for the edit

I presume or assume that Thames also had the Quatermass clip. Have to say that the tape quality is remarkable.
Markymark6,867 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
Notice that the only clips in the menu promo are for programmes that Thames would have had locally. Presumably no chance of getting a clip of that nights Coronation Street or 321 sent down for the edit

I presume or assume that Thames also had the Quatermass clip. Have to say that the tape quality is remarkable.

That (particular) Quatermass series was a Euston Films production, so to all intents and purposes 'in house Thames'
Ne1L C gave kudos
Si-Co2,141 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I seem to remember Tyne Tees showcased their new ident at some point that evening (or it may have been the Thursday). Kathy Secker popped up occasionally throughout the night, but it was 9.20am on the Friday before proper continuity returned, as far as I can recall.

Anyone know who the voice is on the Welcome Home trailers/menus?
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
Here's the YTV startup mentioned earlier -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUfnIyGUQs

Another recording from another region I have just fades down from an IBA style electronically generated programme menu

Thanks for that, John Crosse and not Redvers, as I mis remembered!

Clever how YTV altered their Authority Announcement ever so slightly: “This is Yorkshire Television resuming broadcasting on the Emley Moor and associated transmitters of the Independent Broadcasting Authority”. Poor Belmont mustn’t have got a mention in those days (just as Tyne Tees never mentioned Bilsdale until about 1981).
Here's the YTV startup mentioned earlier -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUfnIyGUQs

Another recording from another region I have just fades down from an IBA style electronically generated programme menu

Clever how YTV altered their Authority Announcement ever so slightly: “This is Yorkshire Television resuming broadcasting on the Emley Moor and associated transmitters of the Independent Broadcasting Authority”. Poor Belmont mustn’t have got a mention in those days (just as Tyne Tees never mentioned Bilsdale until about 1981).

I think YTV were the only company to name check their transmitters (certainly during the UHF era)?

I think YTV were the only company to name check their transmitters (certainly during the UHF era)?

What years would be the “UHF era”? 1969 onwards?
bluecortina850 posts since 26 Jul 2012

Southern did too during the VHF era - it was only Chillerton Down and Dover after all. There's one on Youtube featuring dear Brian Nissen.

Southern did too during the VHF era - it was only Chillerton Down and Dover after all. There's one on Youtube featuring dear Brian Nissen.

Ah thank you, I'm too young to remember, (and we weren't served by Southern until UHF came along here in the Thames Valley).

Power FM used to name check Chillerton Down in their jingles, '2000 watts of power' (Radio 1 had 250,000 watts of power up the road at Rowridge Razz )

What years would be the “UHF era”? 1969 onwards?

Yus. Of course in some regions there were multiple main transmitters, and dozens of relays after a year or two. Didn't HTV's 'Transmitters in Service' caption go to three pages ?!