« Topics
Inspector Sands13,762 posts since 25 Aug 2004

How pitiful is that. Sad

Ad breaks on ITV are meant to last about 5 minutes but now they will last up to 135 minutes. With this Ideal World channel already existing on Freeview (and elsewhere I presume) although not airing this late at night it does seem quite absurd that the actual channel becomes unavailable on its broadcast platform on Freeview but then able to be seen on ITV.

You're assuming that it will be a simulcast of their channel of course, might not be.

Even if it is its a great coup for Ideal World. Yes their own channel is on Freeview, but ITV is a much more prominent place to be
bilky asko5,495 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
This is the channel that hoovered up quite a few ex-presenters (Peter Simon, Mike Mason as well as Paul Becque) from the discredited Price Drop/Bid TV that rightly bit the dust 5 years ago after much criticism.

Paul Becque moved over to Ideal World a while before the Sit-up channels closed - here's a clip of him forgetting which channel he was on:

Rich Tea gave kudos
Rich Tea482 posts since 16 Apr 2017
Anglia (West) Look East

How pitiful is that. Sad

Ad breaks on ITV are meant to last about 5 minutes but now they will last up to 135 minutes. With this Ideal World channel already existing on Freeview (and elsewhere I presume) although not airing this late at night it does seem quite absurd that the actual channel becomes unavailable on its broadcast platform on Freeview but then able to be seen on ITV.

You're assuming that it will be a simulcast of their channel of course, might not be.

Even if it is its a great coup for Ideal World. Yes their own channel is on Freeview, but ITV is a much more prominent place to be

No one can blame Ideal World and it's not what this says about them but what this says about ITV, and what it says about ITV isn't great at all. But then when one tries to rationalise it I suppose the original commercial broadcaster in the UK has always been a shopping channel of sorts every hour of every day it's ever broadcast since it began with Gibbs SR toothpaste in 1955.

I'd also say that Paul Becque seems a more engaging presenter than half the people ITV front up for their actual programme output.
j4ever24 gave kudos
TIGHazard475 posts since 3 Jan 2014
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I'm not sure why ITV would bother acquiring a 40 year old show which they would have to pay for whereas Ideal World would be paying them.

What is the actual viewership of teleshopping? Most people I know, if they can't sleep and if they aren't watching something on Netflix, aren't going to choose a channel advertising products constantly and they aren't choosing BBC News with it being on a loop. They're tuning into Challenge, or some other freeview channel airing actual programming that late at night/morning.

The gambling programmes made sense because they were 'fun' and 'interactive'. But who, when they have the option of choosing anything on a streaming service like Netflix, or a classic game show on something like challenge, is going to choose to be sold to by Ideal World?
Rich Tea gave kudos
Neil Jones5,410 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
This is the channel that hoovered up quite a few ex-presenters (Peter Simon, Mike Mason as well as Paul Becque) from the discredited Price Drop/Bid TV that rightly bit the dust 5 years ago after much criticism.

What criticism? It ran out of money. It wasn't discredited, it ran for 14 years and it was successful before the profits it generated dwindled, the format was changed dramatically and they started flogging stuff one could find in the pound shop. That was its death knell.

As for the presenters, they all thrived on the thrill of live TV flying by the seat of your pants TV where anything could and did go wrong. That's what live shopping channels do for you. Most of these presenters in their past did live stand up, cabaret, TV presenting and whatever else, they're used to that style. Why shouldn't they go to Ideal World? All they'd have to do is learn not to rattle through produce at a rate of knots like Bid and Price did and everything else falls into place.

Its like when somebody gets made redundant their first inclination (mine certainly was when I lost the last job I had before what I have now) was to try and get back into what you were doing before.

Quote:
there is a surefire guaranteed cult late night audience just waiting to be regularly delivered if ITV were willing and able to obtain the rights to what they were showing late at night 30 years ago - all 692 editions of Prisoner: Cell Block H. As a late night person it would deliver me as a viewer again even though I watched it originally. Plus a new generation of younger viewers I would be willing to bet. This show has a continuing incredible draw and has just celebrated its 40th anniversary with a get together of cast, available to see on YT. I have no doubt that it would deliver a sustained solid late night viewing figure - certainly better than a shopping channel squatting in the schedule anyway.

But by buying the rights to Cell Block H again they'd have to justify it by selling adverts. Contrary to popular belief ITV doesn't make any money by airing programmes, they are simply bookends to the adverts. If nobody is watching no adverts will be sold and Cell Block H will cost them money. Simple as. Whereas by pairing up with Ideal World ITV will probably get a cut of the revenue Ideal World get, and a larger audience to boot.
Jonwo, London Lite and bilky asko gave kudos
Interceptor777 posts since 20 Oct 2014

What criticism? It ran out of money.

Not before Ofcom launched an inquiry in to them: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/10072681/TV-shopping-channels-investigated-over-bogus-claims.html
Rich Tea gave kudos
JasonB5,109 posts since 20 Sep 2003
London London
There seems to be some miscommunication at ITV and Ideal World. Ideal World have been saying all day they're on from midnight tonight on ITV but Ideal World starts at 12:35 am on ITV?
"623058 The whole thing has been a dump squirt."
DJGM2,696 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
I just took a look at Ideal World on ITV, and they're flogging the iPhone SE (refurbished and pre-owned) for £170 quid. A three year old smartphone with minuscule 4inch display. Even the overnight infomercials on much smaller channels don't scrape the barrel this much!

So this is what late nights on ITV has come to ... 2-3 hours of a 3rd-rate shopping channel starting with a bunch of 2nd-hand iPhones!
"The Not-So-Late-Show with Greg Mitchell" Tuesdays 4-6pm on Roch Valley Radio - rochvalleyradio.org.uk

(Until further notice!)
Johnr459 posts since 6 Apr 2004
If someone hasn't got an iPhone by now I doubt they will be randomly buying one at 1am in the morning to be honest!

Yet...apparently over half sold!
j4ever24 and Brekkie gave kudos