TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
It sounds like you’ve caught DVD fever, Harshy. Having said that if he had his way TV would probably still be in black and white!
UKnews, Brekkie and London Lite gave kudos
EX
excel99
The World Athletics Champs the next thing that might use this studio - be easy enough to send Football Focus and Blue Peter on location that week.

I hope the athletics will come from Doha, but Salford has to be a possibility. However the athletics though covers 10 days/2 weekends and will be taking place primetime UK time. Looking at the schedule all football output would probably have to come from elsewhere for the duration apart from Football Focus.
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-athletics-championships-doha-2019-6033/timetable/byday

EDIT - Will be interesting to see how much of the athletics gets onto BBC1 this time around. From a British medal potential perspective the big events are:
Women's 100m - Dina Asher Smith - Sunday 29th September at 2120
Women's 200m - Dina Asher Smith - Wednesday 2nd October at 2035
Heptathlon Conclusion - Katarina Johnson Thompson - Thursday 3rd October last event at 2205
Women's 1500m - Laura Muir - Saturday 5th October at 1855
4x100m Relays - Saturday 5th October at 2005 and 2015
The last two will clash with Strictly Come Dancing so I guess will be on BBC2, and likewise the Women's 100m clashes with the high profile Sunday night drama slot. KJT clashes with the news as well
Last edited by excel99 on 29 July 2019 7:58pm - 3 times in total
BR
Brekkie
Thought the time difference was much greater than that - looks like it's only 3 hours and lkooks like they're going late into the night.

As for the World Athletics - I don't think the BBC have hosted a non-European championships on site since 2001 (and not sure if or not they were in Edmonton then) so we'll see - as you say it being primetime might make it more likely to come from there. I do think too as arguably our flagship athlete of the moment, and their push behind womens sport, they will gamble on Dina Asher Smith on primetime BBC1. Hopefully though they'll afford it the 9-10pm slot rather than assuming things will run to time and rushing off air to get their drama on at 9.30pm.

Looking at the schedule though looks like it's Middle East Money over common sense once again - the marathons and race walks are taking place around midnight local time which really doesn't suggest it's the best place to have a championship featuring long distance races.
FA
fanoftv
Blue Peter has moved into the old sport studio whilst the virtual set up is put in place, though the intention is the set will be struck each week - though if that is practical has been question.

http://www.tvstudiohistory.co.uk/rest%20of%20britain.htm#mediacity

If the studio is kitted out with virtual technology and green screens there is a potential that Blue Peter could implement it into their set designs going forward.

Alternatively would it be more cost effective to hire HQ3 for one day a week to rehearse and broadcast Blue Peter (using a modular set similar to the TVC days) than it would be to strike, rehearse and broadcast a weekend of BBC Sport programmes?
HA
harshy Founding member
Jon posted:
It sounds like you’ve caught DVD fever, Harshy. Having said that if he had his way TV would probably still be in black and white!

Not really but Sky are behind other providers especially Sky Italia who have HDR and Super HD.
NG
noggin Founding member
Jon posted:

Not really but Sky are behind other providers especially Sky Italia who have HDR and Super HD.

What's 'Super HD'?
OV
Orry Verducci

What's 'Super HD'?

It's standard 1080i HD, but encoded at high bitrates (apparently) and with some filtering and colour correction, mostly saturation enhancement, at the point of distribution.

It's mostly a marketing gimmick, and one I'm glad Sky UK haven't adopted.
HA
harshy Founding member

What's 'Super HD'?

It's standard 1080i HD, but encoded at high bitrates (apparently) and with some filtering and colour correction, mostly saturation enhancement, at the point of distribution.

But what about HDR why is it not on a sky q box in uk.
UK
UKnews

What's 'Super HD'?

And their HDR offers some content where the HDR has been 'faked' (upscaled, simulated, whatever you want to call it) - such as F1, where the host broadcast isn't in HDR. I'm glad Sky UK haven't gone down this route either.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member

What's 'Super HD'?

And their HDR offers some content where the HDR has been 'faked' (upscaled, simulated, whatever you want to call it) - such as F1, where the host broadcast isn't in HDR. I'm glad Sky UK haven't gone down this route either.

'Upmapped' is the term being used for SDR content being converted for HDR TX (with 'downmapped' the reverse). But yes, same with upscaling SD to HD or HD to 4K, it's not the real deal.
HA
harshy Founding member
You mean the HDR given to Italians is fake?
TI
TIGHazard
You mean the HDR given to Italians is fake?

It can be both real and fake.

It'd be like if when the BBC changed to widescreen in 1998, all the shows that stayed produced in 4:3 such as Eastenders, Top of the Pops and Parkinson were ARC'd to 16:9 on transmission.

So some shows would be true widescreen, and others would be faked.

Newer posts