The Newsroom

BBC regional news - Now with added Reith

Split from New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Originally when the integrated heads started the 'bom boms' carried on during the regional heads and so were on the output of N6. This was fed to the regions and they would just use the audio from that. I'm not sure how much it was used though, I'd have thought that lack of circuits into regions and timing issues didn't make it that useful

Think that ended when the BBC1 news bulletins and the News Channel merged. I've certainly not seen anything that would carry the 'bom boms' to the regions

I thought that was only the London (or was it South East then?) region who had a clean feed of the bed from N6? I think there was some specific reason for it, possibly to do with them crash opting rather than soft opting.
JA
Jamesypoo
It's definitely Gill Sans text, but is that new or old style branding on the brolly?
(Good prep to bring it on their heatwave special all the same!)

Still apparently current "BBC London" branding - as in the whole thing not just the programme.
SW
Steve Williams
A heatwave special? How long are the temperatures supposed to last?

I can accept our international friends taking issue with our news presentation, but coming on here and poo-pooing our obsession with taking about the weather is NOT ON.
IS
Inspector Sands
It's definitely Gill Sans text, but is that new or old style branding on the brolly?
(Good prep to bring it on their heatwave special all the same!)

It's the early 80s Central logo isn't it?

Incidently this is the start of their 'heatwave special' Laughing

Lou Scannon, Capybara and WW Update gave kudos
PE
pete_ni
Reith arrives on BBC Newsline.....(well the sports graphics at least)
bkman1990, Richard and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
MM
MMcG198
Reith arrives on BBC Newsline.....(well the sports graphics at least)

Reith has been in use on the programme for a number of days: BBC Newsline: Reith and New Virtual Set
AG
AxG
They have a nice corporate looking set, and then someone got a rogue trader in to extend it.
NT
NorthTonight
BBC Scotland seemed to have had the font sorted out on the screen behind the presenter on the late news. However just having seen the trail for tonight’s Reporting Scotland during the news, the single use of the programme title on the screen seems to still be in Gill Sans. 🙄
OM
OrmeMac
Reporting Scotland still using the old font and layout for the Travel news in the mornings too.
DE
deejay
Originally when the integrated heads started the 'bom boms' carried on during the regional heads and so were on the output of N6. This was fed to the regions and they would just use the audio from that. I'm not sure how much it was used though, I'd have thought that lack of circuits into regions and timing issues didn't make it that useful

Think that ended when the BBC1 news bulletins and the News Channel merged. I've certainly not seen anything that would carry the 'bom boms' to the regions

I thought that was only the London (or was it South East then?) region who had a clean feed of the bed from N6? I think there was some specific reason for it, possibly to do with them crash opting rather than soft opting.

Quite possibly. The way it’s done simply is that the bongs are played in by the sound op, from something like Instant Replay or SpotOn. This is sometimes triggered by a GPI associated with the vision mixer, sometimes manually. For the half way heads at 1315/1815, there was a different bed without bongs at the beginning but for bonus sound operator points you can run the main headline bed in synch with the network (judging whether you’ve got it right by using a pre-fade listen speaker) and then do a nifty cross fade as you opt.
VMPhil and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
OW
Owen_ploc
Well, it finally happened!

An La finally got the new graphics with Reith!
Titles are unchanged (for now)
A lot of the old goodies are still in use
Quatorzine Neko and thegeek gave kudos
OW
Owen_ploc
By the way, BBC Newsline is STILL unchanged

Newer posts