Mass Media & Technology

NOW TV

Now just er...NOW. (October 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
Not saying I support it at all, but they wonder why people pirate.

Yes, because they don’t want to pay hundreds of pounds every year when they can get it for free.
Brekkie and London Lite gave kudos
RE
Rexogamer
Jon posted:

Yes, because they don’t want to pay hundreds of pounds every year when they can get it for free.

We know they don’t. He was saying that they (Sky/Now) wonder why, when they can’t even provide 1080p in a year when some stuff (mostly Japanese) supports 8K!
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jon posted:

We know they don’t. He was saying that they (Sky/Now) wonder why, when they can’t even provide 1080p in a year when some stuff (mostly Japanese) supports 8K!

They probably can provide it, there's just no incentive to at this time (but they want to). Japan does lots of stuff we don't - their trains run to the second, you can set your watch by them (with apologies dished out if they're early or late by seconds) whereas ours are lucky if they turn up at all and all that follows is a half-arsed "apology" on Twitter.

Remember that Now TV is the poor man's Sky to an extent and if it starts gaining funky stuff that makes it look more appealing than the main Sky/SkyQ package, people may decide not to keep paying £25 a month to have a dish on the side of the house. Presumably it costs a fortune with all the infrastructure to upload to Astra as opposed to squirting the output to internet streams.
London Lite and Rexogamer gave kudos
RE
Rexogamer
Jon posted:

They probably can provide it, there's just no incentive to at this time (but they want to).

Or should I say “don’t”.
JO
Jon
Jon posted:

I read the post. I was disagreeing the crux of the point.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

They probably can provide it, there's just no incentive to at this time (but they want to).

Or should I say “don’t”.

It's not a "don't", it says on the previous page they are wanting to do it. Presumably there is a technical (or contract?) reason why they can't at this time. I presume most if not all of the NowTV hardware they've pushed out can it and it probably isn't a case of flicking a switch and Bob's Your Uncle.
LL
London Lite Founding member

Or should I say “don’t”.

It's not a "don't", it says on the previous page they are wanting to do it. Presumably there is a technical (or contract?) reason why they can't at this time. I presume most if not all of the NowTV hardware they've pushed out can it and it probably isn't a case of flicking a switch and Bob's Your Uncle.

Indeed, if this was just updating the Now TV Roku boxes and sticks, I'm sure it'd be operational by now, but I suspect they want to launch on all of the platforms they're on at the same time.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I’ll remind people that this has been in the works for almost eighteen months. A timescale of this length should have accommodated all eventualities both technical and administration with significant time to spare.
BR
Brekkie
Never really had an issue with the picture quality on Now TV - yes, it's not HD but it's a damn sight better than most SD channels on Freeview.
DV
DVB Cornwall
It appears that some people are being offered the Boost pack at £3 per month, seemingly erroneously, but that’s promising. (NOW TV Community)
JE
Jeffmister
What’s the boost pack? Have never heard of it before
LL
London Lite Founding member
What’s the boost pack? Have never heard of it before

It appears to be the Now TV HD add-on, which hasn't launched yet, which some customers have seen by mistake.

Newer posts