TV Home Forum

Continued implementation of BBC Reith

Other than places it's already implemented (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
roo posted:
Unfortunately there used to be a dedicated News front page team who were not able to do the Reith transition before being disbanded

That's a massive shame. How come they've been disbanded?
JO
Josh
JAS84 posted:
Yeah, they were previously using Arial, right? That always looked unprofessional, considering it's a standard Windows font.

They still use it in Next straps and so on despite using Reith in promos. It's quite mishmash.
SH
Sh1ruba
dbl posted:
Indeed, CBBC switched to Reith quite a while back.

CBeebies probably won't be Reithed on screen as their blobby font is already recognisable and that's stuck with the brand since its launch in 2002
TO
theTOTHlad2002
dbl posted:

CBeebies probably won't be Reithed on screen as their blobby font is already recognisable and that's stuck with the brand since its launch in 2002

I guess they’re the only BBC channel that stands out on a design scale. (That’s used the same look since launch)
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
dbl posted:

As someone who has to watch a lot of CBeebies, there's a little bit of Reith on there - on the clock in the mornings and also the 'CBeebies Summer' stings that have been airing recently. Don't think the blobby font is going anywhere, though!
JO
Joe
As a matter of interest, the typeface is called Melt: http://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Melt-LV1-Regular
Blake Connolly and Inspector Sands gave kudos
WH
whoiam989
Joe posted:
As a matter of interest, the typeface is called Melt: http://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Melt-LV1-Regular

From Japanese company Maniackers.
https://mksd.jp/Melt.html
DV
DVDfever
BBC Reith sounds so smug. It's like a mix of Arial and Times New Roman anyway. I wonder how many millions of our licence fees went to pay for creating that? Many, I reckon. Why bother trying to do anything cheap when the public are paying for it.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Fewer license fees than are being spent on licensing other fonts, in the longer term. That is the whole idea.
:-(
A former member
BBC Reith sounds so smug. It's like a mix of Arial and Times New Roman anyway. I wonder how many millions of our licence fees went to pay for creating that? Many, I reckon. Why bother trying to do anything cheap when the public are paying for it.

Out of interest, how many millions of license fees do you *think* went to pay for it? Are you suggesting that it cost them at least £150million?
DV
DVDfever

Out of interest, how many millions of license fees do you *think* went to pay for it? Are you suggesting that it cost them at least £150million?

A rough guess would be £5-10m. I never even heard of licencing fonts before. There's so many of them, you'd think an option was a free one. Besides, whenever redesigning something is involved, it never comes cheap as they'll have consultants and outsourcing and so on. The BBC don't need to do it on the cheap because there's us to pay for it, whatever the cost, and if it costs more than planned, then that's why far too much of the schedule is repeats.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The BBC is doing something to save money and improve the consistency of its branding.

Yet you are still picking holes based on self-confessed ignorance of how these things work.

Maybe the Daily Mail comments section would be more appropriate for you?

Newer posts