« Topics
Steve in Pudsey10,181 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Are the regional beds still a case of playing it in manually and hoping it's in sync or are they doing something akin to the studio originating a networked radio programme firing jingles at local studios?

I could imagine there being a cue from NBH that started the local copy in sync so it was a seamless crossfade.
Write that down in your copybook now.
Inspector Sands13,766 posts since 25 Aug 2004
Originally when the integrated heads started the 'bom boms' carried on during the regional heads and so were on the output of N6. This was fed to the regions and they would just use the audio from that. I'm not sure how much it was used though, I'd have thought that lack of circuits into regions and timing issues didn't make it that useful

Think that ended when the BBC1 news bulletins and the News Channel merged. I've certainly not seen anything that would carry the 'bom boms' to the regions
PFMC841,556 posts since 28 Feb 2013
UTV Newsline
Noting new on Newsline yet. I hope they follow suit of the better NI presentation and actually redo the titles in Reith, de-clutter their end board to remove the 4 BBC mentions and get rid of the BBC Newsline DOG that isn't needed any more, and arguably never was. Some of their graphics also look to be upscaled SD so hopefully that gets fixed too.

There was a new presentation style for the weather used in last nights bulletin, all blue and 3D (using the green screen normally used for Sport) and I have to say I wasn't a fan of it, and there were some graphical errors on it too. I hope this isn't their new way of displaying the weather.
Rkolsen2,809 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
It's definitely Gill Sans text, but is that new or old style branding on the brolly?
(Good prep to bring it on their heatwave special all the same!)

A heatwave special? How long are the temperatures supposed to last? Last week in the Mid Atlantic we had temperatures up to 40.5°C with heat indices (takes into account humidity which results into how it really feels) around 49° for about a week. Thank god most of the US is air conditioned. My house has central A/C but because of some health issues I need it cooler and I had my portable A/C set to 16° but the heat was so much it only cooled to 21°.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
deejay2,904 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Central (South) Oxford
It's definitely Gill Sans text, but is that new or old style branding on the brolly?

A heatwave special? How long are the temperatures supposed to last? Last week in the Mid Atlantic we had temperatures up to 40.5°C with heat indices (takes into account humidity which results into how it really feels) around 49° for about a week. Thank god most of the US is air conditioned. My house has central A/C but because of some health issues I need it cooler and I had my portable A/C set to 16° but the heat was so much it only cooled to 21°.

Temperatures over 30°C (86°F) are relatively uncommon in the U.K. and sustained heat of that level does cause seemingly ridiculous problems in our temperate isle (as does any snow whatsoever, particular in a London and the South East). Air conditioning in homes is not at all common and hasn’t been common in cars until the last decade or so I’d say. People in the U.K. always say how on earth can Norway cope with metres of snow at a time when a few mm of snow causes so much grief in London. Well it’s because it’s simply not cost effective for the U.K. to prepare for that kind of snow for a few days a year. Same with heat. As it’s generally so unusual, some regional teams in particular have been doing more than normal for the extremely high temperatures we have experienced today. A temperature of 38° in the U.K. is completely newsworthy even if it is for just one day.
Two minutes regions...
Charlesy, Lou Scannon and 4 others
  • richard h
  • dvboy
  • chevron
  • WW Update
gave kudos
Neil Jones5,441 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
Businesses and public buildings tend to have air conditioning in and wonderful it is too (says he who's worked all day in a public library with the air conditioning running, only upset to have to step outside at 5:30 to a wall of heat and getting to a car that proudly boasted 35 degrees on the dashboard).

Portable air conditioners are easily available but the big industrial scale ones you see in American homes we just don't need them, not that size anyway as we live in more modest size homes, not those that make the QE2 look like a shoebox.

Anyway it wouldn't be Britain if we weren't complaining about the weather, too hot or cold...
Lou Scannon gave kudos
bilky asko5,498 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Here's a blog post from the Met Office explaining how the UK doesn't have an official definition of a heat wave: https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2013/07/04/what-is-a-heat-wave/
Rkolsen2,809 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
Businesses and public buildings tend to have air conditioning in and wonderful it is too (says he who's worked all day in a public library with the air conditioning running, only upset to have to step outside at 5:30 to a wall of heat and getting to a car that proudly boasted 35 degrees on the dashboard).

Portable air conditioners are easily available but the big industrial scale ones you see in American homes we just don't need them, not that size anyway as we live in more modest size homes, not those that make the QE2 look like a shoebox.

Anyway it wouldn't be Britain if we weren't complaining about the weather, too hot or cold...

Maybe you’ve seen some wrong ads, but the portable air conditioners for residential use are about the size of a two drawer filing cabinet. The one I have in my room is 28” high, 16” wide and 10” deep. They’re only normally rated for rooms up to 200sq ft.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.