The Newsroom

Changes to BBC Parliament & Political Programming

(July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Agreed. There are some brief clips of the October 1974 election here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4BGpTOtajc

Oooh, I don’t get the You Tube video you mention clicking on that link Embarassed ?
SW
Steve Williams
This one included the clock and continuity announcement before the news, so it would have to be a recording of pres output rather than studio output?

Well, presumably it was on the mastertape, much like when they used to leave the tape run after Blue Peter in the seventies so they could record Newsround as well. But in February 1974, they didn't include the news bulletins but did include the weather, because Barbara Edwards was in the election studio, so presumably it was whatever was coming into the studio.

Seeing John Cole (then of the Observer) appear as a pundit prompts two points:

I don't recall any outcry or accusation of bias against John Cole when he was BBC Political Editor despite the Observer (of which he was Deputy Editor) having backed Labour in the election.

The then Political Editor in 1979, apparently David Holmes, doesn't seem to have taken part in the Election programme, which would be unthinkable these days. Possibly a symptom of BBC News and BBC Current Affairs being separate entities then, and this looks a lot like a Current Affairs production with a bit of news input from Angela Rippon?

As Andy Walmsley's tweet points out, David Holmes was involved in the radio coverage - https://twitter.com/Radiojottings/status/1125358443873865728

David Butler moved over to the radio in 1983 and did a few elections there. John Cole wasn't featured very prominently in 1983 either, he was only brought out when required on a few occasions, it wasn't until 1987 that he was present throughout the evening. I assume they felt the role of the Political Editor was a bit superfluous on election night with Butler, McKenzie and Day covering his jobs.

As for Cole becoming Political Editor, the Beeb made a specific point of alternating between journalists from both sides because when Cole retired they got Robin Oakley from The Times (and then he was replaced by Andrew Marr who, despite coming from The Independent, was considered more on the left, and then Marr was replaced by Nick Robinson who has a background on the right). But all papers lean one way or the other so any political editor you bring in from a newspaper is going to be associated with one side or the other, and as mentioned if you're that interested in politics to want to report on it, you surely have political views yourself.

Incidentally, this is the bit that was cut out early on - the Mike Yarwood Christmas Show. I gather a repeat was pulled because of the Election purdah period

Yes, it was supposed to be shown on 10th April - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1979-04-10#at-19.25

Of course, that meant the Radio Times got to bill it as The Show We Couldn't Show. Except they'd already shown it.

28 days later

GE
thegeek Founding member
Just spotted that (presumably in honour of Trump's state visit), BBC Parliament are repeating the 2016 US election programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08254wk

I wonder if they'll include the strange ending to the montage at the end.
GE
thegeek Founding member
answering my own question, they stopped at 9am - I think the weird accidentally looping closing montage was at 10am.

38 days later

KE
kernow
The final episode of This Week will be shown next week.

POLITICAL: This Week
On: BBC 1 South
Date: Thursday 18th July 2019 (starting in 7 days)
Time: 23:20 to 00:05 (45 minutes long)

Andrew Neil hosts the final edition of the late-night political review, joined by Michael Portillo, Alan Johnson and Miranda Green. Filmed earlier this evening in front of a studio audience, the show will no doubt include a few guests and perhaps a look back at the past 16 years of the show's history before Andrew and company step down to be replaced in September by Laura Kuenssberg's Brexitcast.
(Last In Series, Widescreen, Subtitles, 3 Star)

Starring: Andrew Neil, Michael Portillo, Miranda Green, Alan Johnson, Penny Davies, Rob Burley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marked By: 'Reminder: This Week' marker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=231800

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
BR
Brekkie

So Last Week then. Wink
KE
kernow

So Last Week then. Wink

Or That Was This Week That Was

8 days later

RD
RDJ
So it’s late.... 2006 watching Quizmania on ITV at 4am late.

The Blue Nun is on standby and the final edition of This Week has been recorded and will be broadcast in a few hours.

Here’s a sneak peek at the set.

I for one am very sad it’s coming to an end after 16 years. But as they say all good things must come to an end.

I’m looking forward to tonight’s show. Though a pre-warning... Piers Morgan is a guest.
Rexogamer and Lottie Long-Legs gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
Apparently we've been told to wait until after the end credits for an extra treat!
GE
thegeek Founding member
RDJ posted:

I’m looking forward to tonight’s show. Though a pre-warning... Piers Morgan is a guest.

Rexogamer, james-2001 and Custard56 gave kudos
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
msim, Rexogamer and W1LL gave kudos
JO
Johnr
Andrew Neil had quite a dig at the schedulers for their choice of programming before This Week on Politics Live earlier! Very Happy
Rexogamer and South Today gave kudos

Newer posts