« Topics
Steve Williams2,747 posts since 1 Aug 2008
Did you know that Katy Hill's first tenure at hosting Live & Kicking was not in the 2000 revamp, and it even happened before Steve and Emma.

Katy Hill hosted one morning with Jamie and stepped in for Zoe as she was off ill that morning. Katy was a guest that morning so was drafted in as host at the last minute presumably.

I'd completely forgotten about this, even though I was still watching it at the time. As you say, convenient that Katy Hill was seemingly already going to be on it.

There was an episode of Saturday SuperStore in 1985 where Mike Read was ill, and Mike Smith stood in, and of course there were a couple of episodes of Going Live after Saz had her helicopter crash. Half of the first episode of that series with the OB from the hospital is/was on YouTube, and Pip more or less does the whole thing on his own, but Carol Decker makes a bit of a hash of the Video Vote. I remember the following week Anthea Turner did a few bits and pieces and Saz phoned in from home, but then a surprise for Pip and the audience she then turned up for the last hour.
buster1,762 posts since 15 Mar 2006
London London
Zoe was constantly "ill" during that period on the Radio 1 Breakfast Show. I remember thinking it was odd this was apparently OK so soon after the whole Evans debacle. Poor Scott Mills was forever carrying on after Early Breakfast to do a 5 hour shift, famously for the first time on his 4th day at Radio 1. Though it did his career no harm - during 1999 he became the official stand in for the Breakfast Show presumably because he was on it so much anyway. And it was only late last year when he stopped being the official cover - I think his last one was when Greg James had a day off after his wedding.

But the reason I bring it up is it is curious given her level of absence on Radio 1 that it literally happened once and once only on Live and Kicking. Perhaps given the telly work was higher profile she was less inclined to "pull a sicky"...(of course she may actually have been ill, the only reason I cast doubt on this is she herself has said she was burning the candle at both ends during this period).
But the reason I bring it up is it is curious given her level of absence on Radio 1 that it literally happened once and once only on Live and Kicking. Perhaps given the telly work was higher profile she was less inclined to "pull a sicky"...(of course she may actually have been ill, the only reason I cast doubt on this is she herself has said she was burning the candle at both ends during this period).

I don't think there's any kind of conspiracy about it, when she started on Radio 1 the idea was that she was supposed to come in hungover straight from parties and the like, they were pretty much encouraging it. And she was doing a lot in those days as well, there was that sketch from the Angus Deayton End of the Year Show in 1997 which is on YouTube somewhere which parodies it by featuring her running breathlessly between Radio 1, Live and Kicking and Top of the Pops.

Besides, Mike Read was always oversleeping, to the extent that they moved the start of the breakfast show to 7.30 for his final year. And Wogan was always late too, endlessly getting stuck in traffic. Indeed Ken Bruce had to fill in for him on his very first day on Radio 2 in 1982 when he was standing in on early breakfast.

I remembered last night that there was one week during the Andi and Emma era of Live and Kicking where Trevor was absent because, as I recall, he'd fallen off his bike and broken his arm, but Simon still appeared and, presumably after some frantic rewrites, most of the regulars and guests filled in for Trevor in the various sketches. I remember Tony Blackburn appearing frequently in his place as a running gag.

And of course in the final series of Dick and Dom, both Dick and Dom missed an episode of the Sunday show. The one Dick did on his own was a bit dull, but the one with Dom on his own was absolute carnage.
Hatton Cross3,248 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
And she was doing a lot in those days as well, there was that sketch from the Angus Deayton End of the Year Show in 1997 which is on YouTube somewhere which parodies it by featuring her running breathlessly between Radio 1, Live and Kicking and Top of the Pops.

Exhibit A, M'lud..
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
Steve Williams gave kudos
Exhibit A, M'lud..

Thank you for this. If you didn't think my contributions to this thread could get much duller, the clips from Pops come from the show of 5th September 1997, which is the last episode I ever missed because I'd gone out and put the tape on, and it was shoved over to BBC2 at the last minute for Diana-related reasons, and there was no repeat. So those were the only parts of that episode I'd ever seen.
Hatton Cross gave kudos
London London

I don't think there's any kind of conspiracy about it, when she started on Radio 1 the idea was that she was supposed to come in hungover straight from parties and the like, they were pretty much encouraging it. And she was doing a lot in those days as well, there was that sketch from the Angus Deayton End of the Year Show in 1997 which is on YouTube somewhere which parodies it by featuring her running breathlessly between Radio 1, Live and Kicking and Top of the Pops.

Besides, Mike Read was always oversleeping, to the extent that they moved the start of the breakfast show to 7.30 for his final year. And Wogan was always late too, endlessly getting stuck in traffic. Indeed Ken Bruce had to fill in for him on his very first day on Radio 2 in 1982 when he was standing in on early breakfast.

I remembered last night that there was one week during the Andi and Emma era of Live and Kicking where Trevor was absent because, as I recall, he'd fallen off his bike and broken his arm, but Simon still appeared and, presumably after some frantic rewrites, most of the regulars and guests filled in for Trevor in the various sketches. I remember Tony Blackburn appearing frequently in his place as a running gag.

And of course in the final series of Dick and Dom, both Dick and Dom missed an episode of the Sunday show. The one Dick did on his own was a bit dull, but the one with Dom on his own was absolute carnage.

Yeah, I put that sketch up on YT, it is one of my favourites. I still think "get out of the fri**ing way* whenever there's someone in my path...

I just thought that period was a bit odd coming so soon after Evans, who of course was also going out to parties etc. And it clearly was very short notice due to the double shift Scott Mills kept putting in. On the 40th anniversary show that Ball and Cox did, Scott recorded a message saying a big thank you for all the overtime he got over the years...

The Dick and Dom absences were a bit odd given that year the Sunday show were recorded directly after the Saturday shows. But then it seemed fairly obvious they found the Sunday shows a bit of a chore by that point.

If we're talking about Saturday morning absences, Mark from Sam and Mark missed a couple of weeks of TMi one year. Caroline had left by this point so Sam did the whole show himself, and looked absolutely knackered by the end.
London London
Exhibit A, M'lud..

Thank you for this. If you didn't think my contributions to this thread could get much duller, the clips from Pops come from the show of 5th September 1997, which is the last episode I ever missed because I'd gone out and put the tape on, and it was shoved over to BBC2 at the last minute for Diana-related reasons, and there was no repeat. So those were the only parts of that episode I'd ever seen.

Also a brief clip of the awful re-recorded phone jingle for Live and Kicking that year, though I think the full thing has since surfaced on YouTube.
james-20014,961 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Exhibit A, M'lud..

I have a copy of that full episode, if you've never seen it since!
nbafan89150 posts since 12 Apr 2014
Exhibit A, M'lud..

I have a copy of that full episode, if you've never seen it since!

can you upload it please or send it to me?
nbafan89150 posts since 12 Apr 2014
Exhibit A, M'lud..

Also a brief clip of the awful re-recorded phone jingle for Live and Kicking that year, though I think the full thing has since surfaced on YouTube.

if you were talking about the phone jingle that aired 4th october and 29th november 1997 which we ARE, it wasn't awful, it was bloddy marvellous and I was gutted when I never heard it again until 2016
Last edited by nbafan89 on 19 July 2019 6:37pm