The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Again, not sure if this has been answered elsewhere: what happens with the opening headline captions when the image behind it is predominantly white? Would the lettering appear black / grey instead?

There is a very subtle dark fade behind the headlines - but I would guess the one editing the clips for the Headline sequence, would be avoiding light shots where possible

Guess we'll have to wait for a snow day.
CU
Custard56
What was different with the News at 10 titles, they didn't seem shorter

The only difference I could see, as pointed out by VMPhil, is that the headline captions were all on one line - whereas they weren't throughout the day. Perhaps this was what was meant by the 10 title sequence being "shorter" (I forget who initially indicated that the 10 sequence would be shorter).
BK
bkman1990
How did The Papers turn out in Reith?
LL
London Lite Founding member
iPlayer shows from the NC now utilise the white bar to show the website url instead of the flipper. A big improvement on the large BBC News strap to cover the ticker.
RN
Rolling News
How did The Papers turn out in Reith?

Same as before really except the font has changed to Reith. No change in music, titles etc. The programme name is now shown on the black bar same as other strands.
RO
rob Founding member
The Briefing titles are still the same.
GE
thegeek Founding member
dvboy posted:
If the flipper means they have to actually think about what they type to fit on there rather than just lazily typing out long sentences for the ticker then that's a vast improvement.

A bit like the days of Ceefax headlines needing to be 31-33 characters long.
RH
richard h
Overnight I noticed that the flipper kept crashing when it reappears after a sting and then they instantly remove it for a headline recap when it comes back on again it just sits there with the bullet point doing nothing
HA
harshy Founding member
Asa posted:
I'm definitely a fan. Love the big serif headlines. Flipper beats a ticker any day. And nice to see the live bug animate on and off - a great way to mask the fact it used to hang around for a few frames after cutting back to the studio (was up there with the old days of BBC One ECPs having that 'jump' as a annoying bugbear!)

Even after all these years, that newsroom background still doesn't fail to impress me too.

16:9 graphics would have been the

Na I am sorry I can’t say I am a fan of the lower thirds but the other elements they’ve added are pretty good though, but the lower thirds are terrible it should have been like the nine.
RK
Rkolsen
Overnight I noticed that the flipper kept crashing when it reappears after a sting and then they instantly remove it for a headline recap when it comes back on again it just sits there with the bullet point doing nothing

One thing I’d like to change with the flipper is the interactive headline, I’d just rename it online. There’s nothing interactive about it.

Also the twitter templates using the serif fonts to display someone’s tweet isn’t that clear.
AJ
AJ
It's all pretty nice. Seems to take some degree of inspiration from DW News in Germany, with some of the animations and designs at least.

AJ
AJ

One thing I’d like to change with the flipper is the interactive headline, I’d just rename it online. There’s nothing interactive about it.

Also the twitter templates using the serif fonts to display someone’s tweet isn’t that clear.

Online is, by its very nature, interactive. You click, and the website serves. That's a level of interactivity, albeit just not in the sense of the old BBCi stuff.

Newer posts