BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OW
Owen_ploc
Just checked BBC Alba, no changes on An Là Razz
ST
steveboswell
The Reithed countdown looks great, but the music from 0:30 to 0:20ish sounds like a slowed-down recording of an ambulance! Awful to listen to -- almost reminds me of the "torture" music they used on Sheffield Live!
WO
Worzel
Few issues with the alignment of The Papers coming up full frame graphic, with the text dropping off into the black bar.

The text needs shunting up.
WO
Worzel
I didn't notice this at first but it looks like the ticker actually pushes the picture up and down before the headlines graphics appear. The picture seems to drop down. Bit hard to explain!
OW
Owen_ploc
The Reithed countdown looks great, but the music from 0:30 to 0:20ish sounds like a slowed-down recording of an ambulance! Awful to listen to -- almost reminds me of the "torture" music they used on Sheffield Live!

I think the 2008 countdown was much better than this. Not in terms of visuals, but in terms of music
If I remember correctly they axed off the 2008 countdown in May
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Spent an hour watching it. Awful font, awful big white space at the bottom (just like Sky News but slightly opaque), awful bar above.

1/10. Sorry.
HA
harshy Founding member
There’s some very nice presentation touches but the lower thirds occupy too much off the screen, the line animation which the nine uses very well is non existent here, the headlines has a bizarre line height issue that should be on one line with the characters need to be closer together, one positive is the programme straps which disappeared on bbc news for its own shows have now reappeared, the ticker is ok but for me the issue is that serif font has its really bad on the headlines.
Last edited by harshy on 15 July 2019 9:15pm
hyhzz, Rkolsen and London Lite gave kudos
JO
jonb
Outside Source looks exactly the same and I'm sad.
BR
Brekkie
Away from Reith so glad the BBC are calling a spade a spade and reporting racist comments as "racist" rather than using any word but.
FR
frank
Love how dramatic the comments are on the BBC site. This one quickly went south…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/4df3e9ba-bdf7-48dc-8c9e-0c4256cce7f6#comment-135445386
AS
Asa Admin
I'm definitely a fan. Love the big serif headlines. Flipper beats a ticker any day. And nice to see the live bug animate on and off - a great way to mask the fact it used to hang around for a few frames after cutting back to the studio (was up there with the old days of BBC One ECPs having that 'jump' as a annoying bugbear!)

Even after all these years, that newsroom background still doesn't fail to impress me too.

16:9 graphics would have been the icing on the cake but I get why it would be too much hassle, particularly when joint broadcasting with World
Last edited by Asa on 16 July 2019 7:47am
DV
dvboy
If the flipper means they have to actually think about what they type to fit on there rather than just lazily typing out long sentences for the ticker then that's a vast improvement.

Hopefully overnights it won't just be headlines from the BBC website anymore.

Newer posts