TV Home Forum

Top Gear

With Paddy, Freddie and Chris (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Nobody’s posted in this thread since the series began, but it’s just finished tonight with what I thought was a great classic-style episode of Top Gear. A silly challenge, personality infused car review, celebrity segment, and a fascinating history lesson at the end.

I really did fear the worst when the hosts were announced, and I’m happy to have been proved wrong. Top Gear is here to stay.
CY
cylon6
Nobody’s posted in this thread since the series began, but it’s just finished tonight with what I thought was a great classic-style episode of Top Gear. A silly challenge, personality infused car review, celebrity segment, and a fascinating history lesson at the end.

I really did fear the worst when the hosts were announced, and I’m happy to have been proved wrong. Top Gear is here to stay.

A great return to form for Top Gear. I've enjoyed and looked forward to it again for the first time in years. They've nailed it with this trio. Plus it was announced on Twitter that they're getting a Christmas special! The first since the Patagonia special in 2014.

MO
Moz
Sorry but I find it unwatchable now. It’s pure bullying and playground antics.
JO
Joe
You’d never get that with Clarkson and co.
JA
james-2001
Moz posted:

Just like under Jeremy Clarkson then.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Even though Flintoff seemed to cross the line at times, it seems like nothing but banter between three blokes who seem to get on really well. And given they call pull this off seemingly without Clarkson-esque controversies, I think it's been a blinding success.
bkman1990, Brekkie and japitts gave kudos
MS
Mr-Stabby
I must say they've really nailed it finally. It has been a fantastic return to form for me. Not sure how the international audience will take to it, but looking forward to the next series myself Smile
NW
nwtv2003
Whilst I’ve missed this weeks, I believe Top Gear is finding its feet again after so long. I like VMPhil was very sceptical when they announced Paddy and Freddie as hosts, but I’ve been proved wrong.

Whilst I’ll always prefer Clarkson/Hammond/May, this new run of Top Gear has been the best since these 3 left the show.
MO
Moz
Moz posted:

Just like under Jeremy Clarkson then.

I can never remember Clarkson bullying the other two in the way McGuinness and Flintoff now bully Chris.
BR
Brekkie
Don't confuse banter with bullying. And remember it's a TV show - they all have a role to play and they're all playing Lorraine Kelly.

Agree it's been a brilliant series. Anyone know if the next is due before or after Christmas?
Last edited by Brekkie on 15 July 2019 9:04pm
DV
DVB Cornwall
Chris is playing the fall-guy well, which is probably as cast, I've not watched for ages but have taken in a couple of this new series and ENJOYED them. A lot of the antics, banter or whatever you choose to call it is well placed. It's three presenters who seem to be having a bloody good time.
bkman1990, Brekkie and Jon gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
It has been a great series. I even managed to get Mrs Sands back to watching it, we used to watch it together occasionally in the Clarkson eras but she hasn't watched it since but thinks the new line up is great.

My main reservation is that some of the banter had gone a bit too far, it is seeming at times like it's crossing the line. Even though its obviously all planned and Chris is in on it, I've really not liked it on a few occasions.

I suspect that particular aspect will be toned down for next series
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 15 July 2019 7:47pm

Newer posts