The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
Personally I prefer a ticker to a flipper as you can type anything you want in to it with no space restrictions and as mentioned above there isn't much content on it either

Can someone do a count of stories on the old ticker and compare it to the number this morning on the flipper so we can check this is true. We need a TV Forum Fact Checker!
Whataday and Rexogamer gave kudos
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Not certain serif fonts look good on news bulletins, personally.

TBH, I am at work and I haven't seen this on a normal TV so I am keeping an open mind and reserving judgement. While the new layouts and captions may look nice and animate well, there's no getting around the fact that the font itself is quite ugly.
MO
Moz
the font itself is quite ugly.

In your view. I think it's really nice - especially Reith Serif.

In my mind Serif is broadsheet, Sans is tabloid. So Serif fits BBC News perfectly.
VM
VMPhil
A couple of screenshots of the headline graphic if anyone’s wondering what it looks like. They’re a bit oversized IMO - and a bit of a shame they're not using smart quotes.

VM
VMPhil
TV Whirl have video of the nearly full length countdown:

https://www.tvwhirl.co.uk/presentation/bbc/bbc-news-channel/?clip=35320
paul_hadley and Rexogamer gave kudos
FG
FraserGJ
We need some Breaking News to see how it’s treated. I’m sure some of the figures from the City this morning will see the use of the BN.

Will BN be red or yellow pallete?

I'd say it would stay red (but lighter than before).

My predictions:
-The programme name bug will change to BREAKING NEWS
-The strap text will be coloured in red instead of white
-The text relating to the breaking news will also be red instead of black on the flipper
PE
peterrocket Founding member
We need some Breaking News to see how it’s treated. I’m sure some of the figures from the City this morning will see the use of the BN.

Will BN be red or yellow pallete?

I'd say it would stay red (but lighter than before).

My predictions:
-The programme name bug will change to BREAKING NEWS
-The strap text will be coloured in red instead of white
-The text relating to the breaking news will also be red instead of black on the flipper

The new breaking news sting is quite nice too....
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Moz posted:
the font itself is quite ugly.

In your view. I think it's really nice - especially Reith Serif.

In my mind Serif is broadsheet, Sans is tabloid. So Serif fits BBC News perfectly.

Of course, my opinion is subjective. However, I think the rest of the world will completely agree with me Laughing

OOI, do you think that Reith compares well visually to Helvetica and Gill Sans, the fonts it replaced?
IS
Inspector Sands
Hopefully this isn't considered illegal or inappropriate, but here's a video of the News Channel introduction to Reith

I wouldn't worry, its something that's done many times a day here
EY
the eye
Headline graphics are way too big, the serif font inthe countdown doesn’t look right and it’s too big. That black bar hmmmm
FB
FBC
It's only now that we don't have it anymore that it's dawned on me how incredibly domineering the old red lower thirds were.

I've only been able to really watch the new look from the corner of my eye and in passing on the screens here at Red Bee, but so far I haven't seen anything that I don't like yet.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Short BBC blog post about the new look, mentioning that a lot of the thinking has been about legibility, particularly for people watching on mobiles and tablets. It's something I've heard discussed a few times recently within the industry when talking about TV graphics. https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/4df3e9ba-bdf7-48dc-8c9e-0c4256cce7f6

I like most of what I've seen so far but one thing I'm not sure about is using the big headline graphics for the quarter heads. No problem with them for the top and bottom of the hour, but at quarter past it feels like a bit of a reset, with the ticker having to come off it sort of feels like it grinds things to a halt a little. Probably just something to get used to.

Can see now why sport news have gone with the BBC Sport graphics - if they're generated in Salford they wouldn't be able to have the BBC News logo moving up and down and so on, where before the straps were independent of the ticker. Looks really nice anyway.

Newer posts