BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Quotes:

ST
Stuart
The flipper is so much better than having a scrolling ticker. The Reith Serif numbers in the countdown also look much better.
RD
RDJ
I'm not keen on the live bug having the place name in capitals. Seems out of place now that the straps aren't in all caps anymore.

Also, that black bar being prominent all the time seems like a waste of space and a bit of a distraction.

Otherwise... so far so good I think.
WA
watchingtv
They seem to be promoting askthis@bbc.co.uk rather than the bbcnewschannel@ email address on the flipper.

Yes there is promo airing on the news channel for that. It doesn't say it has replaced it, but it's slightly smaller so may help going forward if they change it.
FG
FraserGJ
chris posted:
Doesn’t seem to be an awful lot of content on that new flipper. A few headlines and interactive details. Perhaps they didn’t want to overwhelm it on hour one.

Seems to be the same 5 stories going around on the old ticker, also no sport headlines.

I like the fact that the bullet points at the start of the stories is coloured, red for news, blue for interactive (and I presume yellow for sport). I'm going to take a guess that the text on the flipper will change from black to red for breaking news...
MO
Moz
chris posted:
Doesn’t seem to be an awful lot of content on that new flipper. A few headlines and interactive details. Perhaps they didn’t want to overwhelm it on hour one.

Think there's just as much, but as it doesn't take a complete month to cross the screen as on a ticker it just seems less.

So, anyway... nothing that surprising - it just works, and from first impressions looks gorgeous. Just make the location title case rather than all caps and we're there!
JamesWorldNews and DeMarkay gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
We need some Breaking News to see how it’s treated. I’m sure some of the figures from the City this morning will see the use of the BN.

Will BN be red or yellow pallete?
MO
Moz
Quotes:

Fit!
Rexogamer, Stuart and Media Boy gave kudos
RO
Rofters
Still no Reith on the website though...
MO
Moz
Wonder what will happen for the weather. Their strap sat right on top of the previous ticker so will be covered by the new BBC News black strap.
RH
richard h
I'm going to be a party pooper and say I don't like the headlines at all. The text is way too big and takes over most of the screen.

I don't like how the live and location text doesn't line up either

They had a good opportunity to refresh the TOTH countdown and titles and have done nothing

Personally I prefer a ticker to a flipper as you can type anything you want in to it with no space restrictions and as mentioned above there isn't much content on it either
SS
SuperSajuuk
Hopefully this isn't considered illegal or inappropriate, but here's a video of the News Channel introduction to Reith and an on-location live broadcast to show all elements. I edited out a section that's copyrighted to Sky Sports just to keep it BBC focused. Apologies for poor quality early on, it should improve to 1080p60 as YouTube processes the video!

Newer posts