Wimbledon 2019

Split from The Sport Thread (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
AN
Andrew Founding member
I can’t understand why they didn’t just get Clare Balding to announce the move, like they’ve done a million times. It’s almost as if someone made a decision at a moments notice and just pulled two switches.

Also, is it not normal that despite having recorded continuity, a live announcer could have done an announcer on BBC Four, I.e the one on shift for BBC One tonight.
BR
Brekkie
Asa posted:
A real shame how that was done on BBC Four. Just after they were discussing the explosion and it faded into Wimbledon. No ident, announcement or anything.

Just seems to show so little respect for viewers watching the channel at the time Sad

Especially as that was part of a night of programmes based around space and the moon landings. It seems some indecesion messed things up here - they either should have held Top Gear at 8pm and moved the tennis to BBC4 at a clean junction or just dropped Top Gear for the night. Heck, there might even have been an argument to shift Top Gear to BBC1 and prioritise it over Countryfile.

Arguably though although not great for the doubles I think the best result would have been to end the BBC1 coverage with advise the doubles final would play out on the red button considering they had no intention of airing all of it on BBC2 and difficulties clearing the schedule on BBC4.
MA
Markymark
I can’t understand why they didn’t just get Clare Balding to announce the move, like they’ve done a million times. It’s almost as if someone made a decision at a moments notice and just pulled two switches.

Indeed. In the good old days you’d get Harry Carpenter or Des calmly explaining a channel change etc, and calmly handing back to Net 1 or 2 pres. That was in the days of Quad VTRs and prerolls etc. It was never a mess. Given the advance in technology and instant server playout you’d expect things to be even slicker today, but they’re not. There’s something fundamentally wrong. It’s human not technical in my opinion
DV
dvboy
I wonder if there was a problem at Wimbledon and we were supposed to hear Clare Balding with a "Welcome to viewers on BBC Four, if you are watching on BBC Two switch over now." type announcement given there was a short overlap.

Personally I would have kept it on BBC Two and run Top Gear and whatever else late, dropping Live at the Apollo.

There were enough complaints on the last edition of Points of View about the channel changing at Queen's, but it's clear they've not taken any on board.
GR
griffinuk
Surely it's high-time that the BBC RB1 channel is made more prominent and used as an overlap channel, possibly even used to show live events, sports coverage etc etc in their entirety without the potential of interruption??

The BBC produces quite a lot of live sports content that goes out on the RB1 channel, such as Final Score, and 5 Live Final Score during the football season, live snooker, darts etc etc??
DV
dvboy
For what it's worth BBC RB1 was showing live Formula E at the time.
GR
griffinuk
dvboy posted:
For what it's worth BBC RB1 was showing live Formula E at the time.

Ah, that rather scuppers my argument somewhat then!
MA
Markymark
You can sort of see the big advantage of streaming and non linear broadcasting in these situations. No ‘channel’ for the event or programme to sit upon, you just choose to watch live, or from the beginning, or a week later, or whatever. Just like a book, when you buy one there are no instructions that you can only read it at 9pm on a Wednesday !
BR
Brekkie
Surely it's high-time that the BBC RB1 channel is made more prominent and used as an overlap channel, possibly even used to show live events, sports coverage etc etc in their entirety without the potential of interruption??

The BBC produces quite a lot of live sports content that goes out on the RB1 channel, such as Final Score, and 5 Live Final Score during the football season, live snooker, darts etc etc??

Tricky as presumably to get up the EPG they'd need to meet some specific PSB criteria. However since it became one channel most of the time the RB1 channel is often a more scheduled channel, especially when it comes to sport - but then it can still go days on end when it's just airing a looped BBC Radio broadcast.

On the whole the BBC have made the right decisions throughout the tournament - before the farce tonight the only one that backfired was when they moved coverage to BBC1 in anticipation of Serena and Andy playing only for the match to be cancelled, but even then they got a decent story in Coco Gauff playing out so it wasn't a total loss.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
KN
knack
On the whole the BBC have made the right decisions throughout the tournament - before the farce tonight the only one that backfired was when they moved coverage to BBC1 in anticipation of Serena and Andy playing only for the match to be cancelled, but even then they got a decent story in Coco Gauff playing out so it wasn't a total loss.

I think they also made a mistake last Saturday by going to the Dan Evans match on BBC One after Andy and Serena, resulting in Casualty being cancelled.

Newer posts