The Newsroom

BBC regional news - Now with added Reith

Split from New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
Wow.

Wow.
MW
Mike W
So I'm trying to reserve judgement until I see this deployed and on screen but I'm going to sound really negative on the early bits we've seen.

If the place names rotating around a sphere are the replacement for the cats' cradle I'm really disappointed and more red and all red?

That being said I'm sure being easier to edit and a better kit of parts has to be a good thing. AIUI the 2008 stuff was a title sequence, short title sequence, screen graphics and some stuff for in reports. No specific closing titles were ever made, the title sequences were 'fixed length' to the music so when regions changed their music or wanted to be creative they had to doctor the 2008 templates.

I know EMT completely altered the resolution of the original template in 2014 to a 1920x1080 frame (but messed up the spacing on the placename text) and NWT between 2008 and 2010 used the plasma screen graphic as an endboard (Think Midlands Today did the same?). Maybe that will let the regions tap into their creative side.
:-(
A former member
Maybe that will let the regions tap into their creative side.

I’d rather they didn’t allow any creative side to be tapped into to be honest. Decide on the theme and stick to it. It works pretty well for ITV regional news and they look all the more professional as a result.
CR
Critique
Indeed, the fact that Look Levy has used the below titles for two years is absolutely ridiculous, as they are 100% the kind of thing that would get slated in The Gallery for looking amateur (from 1:02):

It's also made even worse when you consider that the above titles are just a poor recreation of those that North West Tonight introduced in 2011 (from 0:53):

Why they couldn't ask their Salford colleagues for a template is beyond me! And whilst that NWT example looks very nice, considering how naff it frequently looks when a BBC English Region just abandons the normal templates and do their own thing, I agree that they should probably be kept on a tighter leash, or at least have someone who can stop them and say 'no, that looks sh*t'!
Spencer, chris and Lou Scannon gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Perhaps I’m biased but NWT always do a fine job when making their own version of the corporate look…

OM
OrmeMac
Reporting Scotland has two versions of their news intro. The "regular one" and this one which is used more occasionally.

https://youtu.be/nUoQZRLC6lQ?t=19
TO
theTOTHlad2002
Perhaps I’m biased but NWT always do a fine job when making their own version of the corporate look…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiPpp5EMVsk

This is probably the most catchist theme out of all the other regions at the time.
TO
theTOTHlad2002
Reporting Scotland has two versions of their news intro. The "regular one" and this one which is used more occasionally.

https://youtu.be/nUoQZRLC6lQ?t=19

Here's the closer being used when the programme celebrated 50 Years.

https://youtu.be/B8ns3YSGq1o?t=28m31s
EY
the eye
Hard to think that NWT is so old now, awesome music great time lapse footage and still relatively modern today. Shame it’s gone down hill since imo.
RO
rob Founding member
Been reliably informed that North West Tonight will have a new studio backdrop tomorrow, as well as new night-time titles for its late bulletin.

Changes launching at Breakfast tomorrow, so be ready for 6.25am.
JK
JKDerry
rob posted:
Been reliably informed that North West Tonight will have a new studio backdrop tomorrow, as well as new night-time titles for its late bulletin.

They will keep the same set structure, just a different backdrop? Is BBC Breakfast still sharing the studio with them from this week on?
RO
rob Founding member
rob posted:

They will keep the same set structure, just a different backdrop? Is BBC Breakfast still sharing the studio with them from this week on?

Yes.

Newer posts