« Topics
Si-Co2,144 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Was the output line to CP on the MCR matrix, or was it a manual overplugging required?
I assume the audio to CP was an analogue line rather than SIS in 1981, which would have made it difficult to keep both correct when there was a major panic on.

I think ( and I remember seeing it all happen on the night) it was over plugging because there were periods of no sync ( the IBA caption made multiple appearances) It also affected LWT’s output to the ITV network ( which is how I knew something had failed, I was watching on Southern when PYCR failed, so I switched over to LWT to see what was going on) As I say bluecortina gave us some details a few months ago, if someone can dig up the thread again ?

Having read through the thread, I don’t think it’s been specifically stated what output was being fed to the regions when PYCR failed. It seems LWT viewers still received the programme’s sound over the transmitter caption - but I remember that Tyne Tees lost both sound and vision (or perhaps chose not to continue with the show in sound only). They showed a local holding slide and played a bit of music before rejoining PYCR a few seconds after LWT did, just as Bruce was saying goodbye.

Is it possible that the other regions lost the whole show, not just the sound? Would that make sense with the issues LWT were having? What did Southern do, those from that region who remember this incident?

I think the 7.30 slot was local, with most regions showing a US import, and I don’t think the 8.30 comedy came from LWT (possibly it was YTV’s That’s My Boy), so things could have been worse across the network if LWT had been responsible for the entire early-mid evening.
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
Steve Williams2,747 posts since 1 Aug 2008
I think the 7.30 slot was local, with most regions showing a US import, and I don’t think the 8.30 comedy came from LWT (possibly it was YTV’s That’s My Boy), so things could have been worse across the network if LWT had been responsible for the entire early-mid evening.

That episode of Play Your Cards Right was actually on at 8.30, followed at 9pm by The Gentle Touch, also from LWT, which is starting at the end of the video. All regions showed a (different) film at 7pm.
Si-Co2,144 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

That episode of Play Your Cards Right was actually on at 8.30, followed at 9pm by The Gentle Touch, also from LWT, which is starting at the end of the video. All regions showed a (different) film at 7pm.

Surprising... but I seem to remember some episodes going out at 8pm or later with an import before them. That’s My Boy had finished a week or so earlier, hence the vacant slot at 8.30.
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
Lewismpsmith80 posts since 12 May 2018
Meridian (South East) South East Today
Relating to an earlier post of a breakdown during the ITV Weekend News back in 2003, here's another one where the titles fail to materialize for the ITV Lunchtime News.

Very interesting how quickly the continuity announcer apologised for the technical problems almost straight after breakdown/holding slide was pulled up. (Two seconds afterwards in fact!)

Inspector Sands13,692 posts since 25 Aug 2004

Very interesting how quickly the continuity announcer apologised for the technical problems almost straight after breakdown/holding slide was pulled up. (Two seconds afterwards in fact!)

Presumably the problem was not a total surprise to him or the TC that there was a problem. Remember they can see incoming lines and every other source before they cut it to air.

Either the bars came up very late on, or they'd been there a while and were assured that they'd be gone by the time it went to air so they went for it
Lewismpsmith gave kudos
thegeek4,934 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
Another breakdown just occurred on BBC ALBA during TRNSMT all thanks to me channel hopping. Picture froze and broke during the programme.

I assume BBC ALBA is not doing very well lately then

It's made it onto iPlayer.

Might have been incoming from the OB like that, rather than a fault local to Alba.
Lewismpsmith gave kudos
bluecortina850 posts since 26 Jul 2012

Presumably the problem was not a total surprise to him or the TC that there was a problem. Remember they can see incoming lines and every other source before they cut it to air.

Either the bars came up very late on, or they'd been there a while and were assured that they'd be gone by the time it went to air so they went for it

I don’t know the circumstances of this issue, but remember with ITV you may be on the end of networking circuit and relying on the ‘far end’ to make the switch between sources. WOS to ITN being a classic case in mind - the network switcher in London going between a local studio source and an incoming source in the space of a few seconds, tight and not much room to correct errors. Seeing as the colour bars appear to be circuit ident bars rather than a set of studio bars I’m surprised someone in London didn’t query this with ITN beforehand. Looks like the studio was proceeding nicely but ITN MCR hadn’t switched the studio out to line.
Lewismpsmith gave kudos
Inspector Sands13,692 posts since 25 Aug 2004

I don’t know the circumstances of this issue, but remember with ITV you may be on the end of networking circuit and relying on the ‘far end’ to make the switch between sources. WOS to ITN being a classic case in mind - the network switcher in London going between a local studio source and an incoming source in the space of a few seconds, tight and not much room to correct errors. Seeing as the colour bars appear to be circuit ident bars rather than a set of studio bars I’m surprised someone in London didn’t query this with ITN beforehand. Looks like the studio was proceeding nicely but ITN MCR hadn’t switched the studio out to line.

Yes, my reading of it is that ITN MCR probably reassured ITV playout that it will be switched out in time, and it wasn't
Lewismpsmith gave kudos