The Newsroom

Tory Leadership Contest

Presentation Discussion (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
I would have preferred Paxman doing these interviews rather than Neil. Neil is fine on This Week (when he is on form) but in these interviews, it seems he is weak to me.

Is this a classic case of disliking an interviewer when they're strong against the person you like, and liking them when they're strong against the person you dislike?

No, because I despise both Hunt and Johnson, I treat them with equal contempt, I am unbiased in that.
DV
DVB Cornwall
A considerable lot of appreciation across the media spectrum for these two set piece interviews, dispersed with some obvious sycophantic adulation in the mix too. On balance a worthwhile exercise, albeit without the killer blow to either of the contenders.
DJ
DJGM
With regards to the presentation ... I'm a bit surprised they didn't use a studio at NBH. What was the studio they did use?
CR
Critique
DJGM posted:
With regards to the presentation ... I'm a bit surprised they didn't use a studio at NBH. What was the studio they did use?

The interviews came from the Westminster Live studios on the Albert Embankment - it's where the Andrew Neil interviews were conducted prior to the last general election too. Obviously they chose them for their view of the Houses of Parliament, although as Big Ben is covered up at the moment I do wonder whether there was much point!
KE
kernow
Channel 4 are currently showing a documentary about Boris Johnson, and Channel 5 showed one yesterday.

In the interest of impartiality, they should be showing programmes about Jeremy Hunt as well, but they're not. The BBC and ITV did, with programmes covering both candidates (such as The Andrew Neil Interviews and Tonight).
CH
chris
Channel 4 are currently showing a documentary about Boris Johnson, and Channel 5 showed one yesterday.

In the interest of impartiality, they should be showing programmes about Jeremy Hunt as well, but they're not. The BBC and ITV did, with programmes covering both candidates (such as The Andrew Neil Interviews and Tonight).

No they shouldn’t. Impartiality (outside of purdah) doesn’t require broadcasters to give the same amount of coverage to any particular politician.
BR
Brekkie
It isn't an election so rightly or wrongly no such obligation.
JO
Jonwo
Boris has enough stories about him to warrant a documentary, you’d struggle to fill even half an hour with Jeremy Hunt.
SL
Shaun Linden
There's nothing in the schedules from what I can see but there's surely going to be some news specials next Tuesday and Wednesday on the main channels.

What did ITV do when May become Prime Minister? Was there live coverage?
JO
Jonwo
There's nothing in the schedules from what I can see but there's surely going to be some news specials next Tuesday and Wednesday on the main channels.

I imagine they’ll axe the daytime shows to cover but it’s unlikely for primetime as BBC One only really has 7pm free
RE
Reece24

ITV have been doing a lot of digital shows recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do a 'programme' on their website/ Facebook page (with Paul Brand?). The BBC will probably join the news channel for an hour or two in the afternoon on either BBC One or Two.
CH
chris

ITV News was on air with a special programme.

Newer posts