« Topics
BM11924 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
C4 News went to town on the ECB tonight for the damage they've done to the games exposure by putting live action behind a paywall for 14 years.

Prehaps they planning a bid for more live rights?
But the ECB will never accept because I don't think they see the damage being done as not worth the money being invested from sky rights.
Jon7,765 posts since 11 Apr 2005
Central (West) Midlands Today
C4 News went to town on the ECB tonight for the damage they've done to the games exposure by putting live action behind a paywall for 14 years.

Prehaps they planning a bid for more live rights?
But the ECB will never accept because I don't think they see the damage being done as not worth the money being invested from sky rights.

I don’t think the editorial team of Channel 4 News make the sport rights acquisition decisions for Channel 4.

Also the rights are tied up for the next few years.
bilky asko gave kudos
VMPhil9,607 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
I wonder if they care, because they likely get many more £££££££ from being on Sky, even if it means a lot fewer people actually pay attention to the game any more, and money's all anyone cares about these days.

I think people in sport are beginning to realise that the best situation to be in is to have the money rolling in from pay TV and making sure the sport is highly visible through a strong FTA partner for highlights or selected live broadcasts, rather than putting everything behind the paywall and preventing a casual audience from tuning in.
Brekkie gave kudos
james-20014,824 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
And that's been a lot of the problem with cricket, it's been pretty invisible on FTA, even with the highlight shows there's been. Been little attempt to give them a prominent slot or decent promotion. Cricket's suffered awfully in this country since the mid-00s as a result. Ironic when you think of the high its popularity was at in 2005 when England won the Ashes.
VMPhil9,607 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
And that's been a lot of the problem with cricket, it's been pretty invisible on FTA, even with the highlight shows there's been. Been little attempt to give them a prominent slot or decent promotion. Cricket's suffered awfully in this country since the mid-00s as a result. Ironic when you think of the high its popularity was at in 2005 when England won the Ashes.

That’s a good point, it’s not just enough to have some super basic FTA coverage, it needs to have a strong presence so people actually know it’s on and can easily find it.
james-20014,824 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
I think the cricket authorities took its popularity for granted, which has been shown to be a terrible mistake. After all, as I said, its move to Pay TV was at a time of high popularity thanks to England winning the Ashes, and they probably thought that those people would stick with it, even behind a paywall. But it's not football and never will be (and even premiership football has always had a high profile FTA presence reglardless). They clearly got a big cash infusion, as the expense of the casual public barely being aware of the sport at all.
Brekkie31,384 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Golf heading the same way now too - Scottish Open this week with only post-midnight highlights on the BBC and arguably 4th in the pecking order for Sky live coverage this week behind the GP, CWC and probably Netball World Cup too.

The Open though getting two hours of highlights per night in primetime.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
harshy6,124 posts since 24 Mar 2001
It was a mistake giving it to Sky and I don’t know which company they use but it’s like watching paint dry, Sunset and Vine however show how cricket is suppose to be presented and have brought added excitement to the cricket coverage.

I think channel4 will show the world feed instead?
Steve Williams2,711 posts since 1 Aug 2008

A lot of the problem with cricket on Channel 5 has been that they've been limited as to when they can show the highlights by the contract - Sky get first dibs on when they can show their highlights, so on C5 they've either been on too early or too late.