« Topics
Jon7,995 posts since 11 Apr 2005
Central (West) Midlands Today
If it wasn't on Pick it was always going to be on C4 or one of it's channels - and the British Grand Prix being an inconvenience works for Sky too - indeed I'm sure they'd rather the whole thing was on More4, but a bit of disruption at least means they can advertise it uninterupted.

Really though this does nothing to solve the exposure of England international cricket. The Cricket World Cup Final is fairly insignificant compared to the Ashes - that's the series which should be on the protected list.

I think for younger audiences the Cricket World Cup is bigger than the Ashes

If that’s the case that’s a lot to do with the diminished coverage of test cricket the on FTA TV. I’m sure if England win the cricket Theresa May won’t be inviting the England cricketers round for a piss up at Downing Street. On second thoughts she probably would want to leave the place in a state for the next occupant.
Brekkie gave kudos
UKnews838 posts since 26 Apr 2011

More 4 can take listed events? I think they should stick the Grand Prix on there. But they might need to notify Ofcom. But I guess keeping the F1 on 4 keeps two sets of advertisers happy.

British Grand Prix isn’t a listed event- in live or highlights form.
Jon gave kudos
BM111,047 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
If it wasn't on Pick it was always going to be on C4 or one of it's channels - and the British Grand Prix being an inconvenience works for Sky too - indeed I'm sure they'd rather the whole thing was on More4, but a bit of disruption at least means they can advertise it uninterupted.

Really though this does nothing to solve the exposure of England international cricket. The Cricket World Cup Final is fairly insignificant compared to the Ashes - that's the series which should be on the protected list.

I think for younger audiences the Cricket World Cup is bigger than the Ashes

If that’s the case that’s a lot to do with the diminished coverage of test cricket the on FTA TV. I’m sure if England win the cricket Theresa May won’t be inviting the England cricketers round for a piss up at Downing Street. On second thoughts she probably would want to leave the place in a state for the next occupant.

As she is a MCC member she might well be at the final watching it.
Bo9816 posts since 27 Apr 2018
STV North Reporting Scotland

More 4 can take listed events? I think they should stick the Grand Prix on there. But they might need to notify Ofcom. But I guess keeping the F1 on 4 keeps two sets of advertisers happy.

More 4 can indeed take listed events (in fact even Film 4 can!), but the British GP is not a listed event as mentioned above.

It's a myth created by Wikipedia editors. I took a look at that page the other day, and while the British GP had already been removed, I did see a lot of other false entries which I cleaned up.
Jon gave kudos
Brekkie32,024 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
I’m not sure having the home Ashes series once every 4? years is going to help much.

At least from next year there will be live England cricket on the BBC albeit a tiny amount.

Most big sporting events are on a 4 year cycle so don't think that's an issue. They should never have gone from all Home Tests being listed to none - the Ashes at least stood out over a 2-Test spring series against Sri Lanka for example.

The trouble with the cricket next year is it is just lip-service, and also another new format which nobody has really been asking for.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
thegeek5,001 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London

and it'll be the ICC S&V coverage as per Sky Sports on Channel Four.
from the Sky press release:
Quote:
Viewers will be able to enjoy Sky Sports' coverage from 9am as England try to lift the Cricket World Cup for the first time. Coverage will move to More4 from 1.15pm when the F1 British Grand Prix takes place, reverting to Channel 4 after the race has finished.
sounds like it'll be Sky's presentation, rather than the pure world feed.

While it's not unusual to see a fully presented programme from a foreign broadcaster turn up on a sport channel (eg AFL or A-League on BT Sport), I'm not sure I remember a live event turning up on another UK broadcaster's channel, complete with their branding before.
UKnews and Jon gave kudos