TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
Not sure if this was posted, but:
AL
ALV
Does anyone have a clue on when exactly Reith will be rolled out on Monday? Probably 12AM (to coincide with overnight simulcasts) or 6AM?

Whatever they do I hope they can roll out the graphics on NC and WN at the same time so to maintain consistency... and let’s hope on WN Red Bee Pres will be having the new tickers ready at the same time with the galleries in BH. Or else we will be seeing mismatches where we will be seeing new graphics at TOTH but back to the old during the BOTH filler programmes...

On a side note the graphics on Sport Today have been Reithed throughout the whole programme. So expect the new graphics on Sportsday tonight on the NC.

Last edited by ALV on 13 July 2019 5:02am
bkman1990, Quatorzine Neko and Custard56 gave kudos
IT
Ittr
ALV posted:
Does anyone have a clue on when exactly Reith will be rolled out on Monday? Probably 12AM (to coincide with overnight simulcasts) or 6AM?

Whatever they do I hope they can roll out the graphics on NC and WN at the same time so to maintain consistency... and let’s hope on WN Red Bee Pres will be having the new tickers ready at the same time with the galleries in BH. Or else we will be seeing mismatches where we will be seeing new graphics at TOTH but back to the old during the BOTH filler programmes...

We've heard that the new Breakfast look will launch on Tuesday, and that the first new countdown will be at 8:58:30am, so they're probably going to launch Reith on the NC at 8:30am for Business Live, or wait until 9am. I'm unsure about World's launch of Reith but it'll probably be within a similar space of time.

Again, these are just assumptions I'm making based on what I know, so I could be wrong.
JO
Josh
New graphics in Sportsday as predicted above
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member

We've heard that the new Breakfast look will launch on Tuesday...

Seems slightly inconsistent to launch Reith on Monday for everything other than Breakfast which will have to wait another day? Will Breakfast have a new-look as well as Reith (i.e. new background on the screens/new studio (unlikely) ) or just Reith?
JA
JAS84
That screencap in the tweet looks the same as the current look... it'll be a new font on the titles, and probably a variant of the same graphics used on everything else.
MO
Moz

Seems slightly inconsistent to launch Reith on Monday for everything other than Breakfast which will have to wait another day? Will Breakfast have a new-look as well as Reith (i.e. new background on the screens/new studio (unlikely) ) or just Reith?

It’s not really inconsistent. It just happens to be after the switch. Last time it happened at 1pm so we had the News Channel using different graphics at 12pm and 2pm.
CU
Custard56

This is Breakfast we're talking about - the programme that generally resists change. I'm pretty sure it will just be Reith.

And if there are going to be changes in terms of background / set, I imagine they'll wait until the new editor (announced today) has his feet under the table in September before they touch that side of things.
Last edited by Custard56 on 12 July 2019 8:11pm
MR
mr_vivian
The problem with Reith is it makes letters so much more thinner.

I personally prefer the previous thicker font - it gives it a more authoritive feel.
JO
Jon
ALV posted:

On a side note the graphics on Sport Today has been Reithed throughout the whole programme. So expect the new graphics on Sportsday tonight on the NC.

That is interesting. Full BBC Sport graphics on BBC News.
JO
Joe
The problem with Reith is it makes letters so much more thinner.

I personally prefer the previous thicker font - it gives it a more authoritive feel.

Yeah, if only there was more than one weight.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Jon posted:
That is interesting. Full BBC Sport graphics on BBC News.

In their eagerness to show off the new graphics earlier, they were left on during all the tennis clips. Made for frustrating viewing:

Also, the text on the lower thirds was not relevant to the second and third clips of other games being shown.

Newer posts