TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
The sports news from Salford on the news channel just now had their new graphics, which are fully in BBC Sport style rather than a version of the News graphics as they've been previously.
SH
Sh1ruba
(Internal BBC image removed)

Where did you find this?
JA
JAS84
Nice one, Asa! Reith thread title. Smile
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Apologies if they've been using these for a while and I've only just noticed...

bilky asko and Custard56 gave kudos
PA
PATV Scunthorpe

They work quite well I think, feels a little restrictive being pushed into the 4:3 area, but the only thing I would change is to probably use the Live graphic from the usual BBC Sport package, rather than that one line version.
Last edited by PATV Scunthorpe on 12 July 2019 1:47pm
JF
JetixFann450
They work quite well I think, feels a little restrictive being pushed into the 4:3 area, but the only thing I would change is to probably use the Live graphic from the usual BBC Sport package, rather than that one line version.

I think you may have to blur the footage or cut it, because it got copyrighted by IMG.

I think once BBC News has finished it's Reith process I'm expecting BBC One to begin using the font.
BK
bkman1990
I've just remembered that today was the last day for the current titles for Afternoon Live to be aired on the NC.

I don't know how Reith will look with it on Monday. The current titles looked brilliant for a news channel.

How do people here think it will improve by then?
BR
Brekkie
They will be the same but different.
IE
iee_reith

Why on earth is 4:3 safe still being used?
JO
Josh

He works for the BBC
MI
mikeyskin

Why on earth is 4:3 safe still being used?

I believe that the new graphics are within the 14:9 caption safe area. So not 4:3 safe (which would be even smaller in the 16:9 frame) but also not 16:9 caption safe either - likely to be to take account of anything that is still transmitting in analogue. Whilst this doesn't apply to the UK it could apply to other areas around the world.
JF
JetixFann450
I'm curious in that document of pages if there's anything regarding other departments in the BBC.

Newer posts