TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
No idea who’s in charge of the main channel but they will probably stay away from Reith and keep the oneness going because it’s cheap as chips to make.
DM
DeMarkay
I’m sorry but, BBC One looks very tacky and everything about it is outdated.

Either they use Reith or keep the branding different from its sister channels.
HA
harshy Founding member
BBC oneness is easily the worst idents ever, even the commercial bbc channels have better idents, it’s a licence fee funded embarrassment for Britain’s premier terrestrial channel, not even changing the font to Reith can save oneness Sad
NA
natwel27
BBC Two probably changed their idents in 2018 because the idents had then had their time, in fact the channel branding as a whole had become tired. But what I don't understand is the fact that Oneness looks sh*te. The BBC also almost certainly have been told it looks that way. So why can't they throw money at something new already? If they last any longer than the end of this year, I will definitely not be happy.
SP
Spencer
BBC One already uses its own, bespoke font. The argument for Reith is long-term it will save the BBC money by not having to pay for commercial font licences. So, I’m not sure it’ll use Reith at all, unless it’s been stated they will elsewhere?

Do we know if the BBC actually owns the BBC One font in the same way as it does Reith, or is it just licensed (exclusively) from Fontsmith, with ongoing relicensing fees? If that’s the case there would still be a financial case for switching BBC One’s font to Reith.
Last edited by Spencer on 7 July 2019 10:28am
WH
whoiam989
Let's see if Fontsmith will release the retail variant of the current BBC One font around the time the channel switches its font to BBC Reith (like what they did with earlier ITV plc corporate font, Sky News and Channel 4).
:-(
A former member
Look - we'll all know when the roll-out of Reith is complete when they change the section header font on BBC Red Button on Sky Wink
Lou Scannon, Rkolsen and Ittr gave kudos
MO
Moz
Nice use of Reith on this BBC News page...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/KnxBMVGAcn/michigan_central_detroit
PE
peterrocket Founding member
Moz posted:

That's the new longform design templates for Shorthand - so expect to see more of those.
MD
mdtauk
The header logo and section links, should probably still line up with the BBC Header I think, It kind of looks broken right now, at least for me.

BB
BruceBBC
Deleted.
Last edited by BruceBBC on 12 July 2019 5:41pm
BR
Brekkie
(Internal BBC image removed)

Rules that'll be taken far more seriously here than anyone at the BBC.

Newer posts