« Topics
JasonB5,155 posts since 20 Sep 2003
London London
Yes, the BBC used a shorter edit of the closing theme for the first 18 months or so (for a while they used the opening theme at the close of episodes too).

Way off topic but interesting!

I think that was a seven thing. On the DVD's that were released a few years ago from around episode 100 they begin to use the opening theme on the closing credits on episodes at random but kept the sponsorship credits in at the end.
"623058 The whole thing has been a dump squirt."
Si-Co2,213 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Yes, the BBC used a shorter edit of the closing theme for the first 18 months or so (for a while they used the opening theme at the close of episodes too).

I think that was a seven thing. On the DVD's that were released a few years ago from around episode 100 they begin to use the opening theme on the closing credits on episodes at random but kept the sponsorship credits in at the end.

Occasionally Seven did that, but the BBC significantly edited down some of Ten’s 1986 episodes (those shown in Oct-Dec 1987) including removing recaps at the start and closing the episode with the opening theme. This was because the repeat showing was scheduled in a 17-minute slot in the mornings, from 9.03-9.20. This stopped in January 1988 when it was moved to 5.35pm.

If any of these BBC episodes (or UK Gold repeats) are on YouTube, you will see the shortened end credits. Also in this era, there was no “breaking glass” sound in the opening titles when the cricket ball smashed the Ramsay’s window, as the BBC re-dubbed the opening when removing the recap scenes.
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
msim560 posts since 29 Sep 2003
Reminds me of the strange period in the early 90s where the opening titles of Neighbours were about 3 seconds long, basically just consisting of the Neighbours logo, the Grundy logo, and a tiny snatch of the theme tune.

These? Dear me they're terrible!

Stuart and james-2001 gave kudos
james-20015,397 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Reminds me of the strange period in the early 90s where the opening titles of Neighbours were about 3 seconds long, basically just consisting of the Neighbours logo, the Grundy logo, and a tiny snatch of the theme tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDh_nz5ULE

I'm pretty sure there's also a version of those "titles" (if you can call them that) that was instrumental as well.
DeMarkay and Si-Co gave kudos
London London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDh_nz5ULE

I'm pretty sure there's also a version of those "titles" (if you can call them that) that was instrumental as well.

There was an instrumental of those titles too. Sometimes during the recap they would have instrumental from the single version of the theme tune going in to the instrumental version of those titles.
London London
The BBC also (usually) edited out the “Neighbours” super/caption that appeared at the end of each episode (and the ad-breaks of course). On Ten, there was normally an ad break and next episode preview between the last scene of the episode and the closing credits. See here:

Original Aus format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR34ISysYQc

BBC version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrQJX7vCs6w

This episode differs slightly as there was normally a freeze frame at the end of the final segment in Australia in that era. If you skip through, it’s interesting to see how much footage was sometimes cut out when disguising the ad-break points. Sometimes the BBC swapped scenes around too to avoid “jump cuts” where the same “scene” continued after the ad break. By the mid to late 90s the BBC were receiving clean copies without ad-break supers and with additional establishing shots inserted where necessary to join two parts together.

I'm watching some UK Gold editions from 1986 on Daily Motion and the freeze frame at the end has been visible without the Neighbours logo appearing at the end. Also the BBC/UK GOLD edits have a horrible edit of the end theme on them. It's not that much but you can tell there's an edit on the instrumental after the first verse .

The freeze frame is down to how the BBC edited them - freezing the VT just at the point of the real freeze frame (or a fraction of a second before it) so the Neighbours logo wouldn’t pop up. Yes, the BBC used a shorter edit of the closing theme for the first 18 months or so (for a while they used the opening theme at the close of episodes too). This “BBC edit” shortened the words “day”, “away”, “blend” and “friends” and the final guitar riff. I didn’t realise that wasn’t the Aussie closing theme until they started using the full unedited version. The full version actually sounded a bit weird until I got used to it.

Episode 331 from 1986 on Dailymotion is a UK Gold repeat and you see the Neighbours logo appear on screen at the end of the final scene before the cut to the credits.

I'm watching some UK Gold editions from 1986 on Daily Motion and the freeze frame at the end has been visible without the Neighbours logo appearing at the end. Also the BBC/UK GOLD edits have a horrible edit of the end theme on them. It's not that much but you can tell there's an edit on the instrumental after the first verse .

The freeze frame is down to how the BBC edited them - freezing the VT just at the point of the real freeze frame (or a fraction of a second before it) so the Neighbours logo wouldn’t pop up. Yes, the BBC used a shorter edit of the closing theme for the first 18 months or so (for a while they used the opening theme at the close of episodes too). This “BBC edit” shortened the words “day”, “away”, “blend” and “friends” and the final guitar riff. I didn’t realise that wasn’t the Aussie closing theme until they started using the full unedited version. The full version actually sounded a bit weird until I got used to it.

Episode 331 from 1986 on Dailymotion is a UK Gold repeat and you see the Neighbours logo appear on screen at the end of the final scene before the cut to the credits.

As I said, the BBC cut away or freeze framed before that logo appeared. This was probably the only BBC edit from the 80s that kept it intact (I remember at the time noting how unusual it was). We sometimes saw brief glimpses of it at the ad-break points - and it made a couple of rogue appearances in the 1991 episodes that the BBC butchered due to Lucy and Glen’s incestuous fling - they cut so much footage that 3 episodes became one on one occasion.

To reiterate, the BBC only retained that end-of-part/end-of-ep logo on a handful of occasions, if that. Probably a mistake, an experiment, or a different editor on duty that day.
London London
Would the 80's Neighbours end of part logo have been kept in had it been on Channel 5 or even ITV in the 80's? Current day Neighbours on Channel 5 has it's own break sting.
Would the 80's Neighbours end of part logo have been kept in had it been on Channel 5 or even ITV in the 80's? Current day Neighbours on Channel 5 has it's own break sting.

Well, Home and Away had similar logos or full-screen bumpers at the end of each part and episode throughout much of its history, and ITV and Five always removed them. They usually took the break at a different point to Australia (who have three breaks in a half hour show), but even when the breaks coincided they used their own captions. The Aussie logos/bumpers appear on screen for less time than the UK counterparts, and would have required a freeze-frame which probably wouldn’t have looked very good.