TV Home Forum

Wimbledon 2019

Split from The Sport Thread (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Interesting that some of the Wimbledon website clips (including Men's matches) have made their way onto the BT Sport App. Strange sub licensing going on.
HA
harshy Founding member
The HD is really poor 3mbps HD for a prized event like Wimbledon, the world feed at 7e is 13mbps!

The BBC Sport graphics don’t even match the host broadcasters superior graphics, at least with the previous graphics it wasn’t quite as obvious what was Bbc and which part was IMG.

Sorry, 3mbps where, on what platform?

Others will have more experience, but 13mbps sounds on the low side for a world feed, one that will end up being compressed at least once more before it reaches viewers.

Dsat 28.2e I’ll put the bitrate calculator on the world feed tomorrow again.
NG
noggin Founding member
http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=10847&pid=6941&live=69&sec=0&lang=en BBC One HD on 28.2E averages around 4.5Mbs with peaks of up to 17Mbs.

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=BBCB-PSB3&pid=17540&live=9&sec=0&lang=en BBC One HD on PSB3 DVB-T2 is similar.

Sure - statmuxing can push channels below their average - but that's what statmuxing is for. (The court wide shot on Wimbledon will compress very well)

That said - the UHD HDR MPEG DASH iPlayer Centre Court stream is 7Mbs 720p50, 10Mbs 1080p50, 16Mbs 1440p50 and 36Mbs 2160p50 - and that's using HEVC/h.265 which is more efficient than the h.264/AVC used on DSat and DTT in the UK (though the HEVC encoders may not be as advanced yet)...
CO
commseng
The HD is really poor 3mbps HD for a prized event like Wimbledon, the world feed at 7e is 13mbps!

Others will have more experience, but 13mbps sounds on the low side for a world feed, one that will end up being compressed at least once more before it reaches viewers.

A fairly standard rule of thumb is that for the UK broadcasters, a 18MHz satellite slot is booked for the main feed.
That should give you (with normal modulation parameters) around 31Mb/s.
A backup at a cheaper 9MHz slot will give you 15.5Mb/s, and it sounds like this is what is being used here.
If you add audios to that (plus other data) then you can drop to 13Mb/s - just Dolby audio will take 2Mb/s.
When Dolby atmos is added to a UHD feed, then you end up booking a 27MHz slot to keep the vision acceptable.

I'd agree for a world feed that 9MHz sounds a little thin for HD - you can usually buy ad hoc slots of 4.5, 9, 12 or 18MHz quite easily from the usual leaseholders.
GE
thegeek Founding member
The BBC's main path out of Wimbledon is almost certainly by fibre - if they're skimping on a satellite contribution it'll be a "we hope to not have to use this but at least it'll keep us on air if we do" budgetary choice.
UK
UKnews
The BBC's main path out of Wimbledon is almost certainly by fibre - if they're skimping on a satellite contribution it'll be a "we hope to not have to use this but at least it'll keep us on air if we do" budgetary choice.

Satellite being the second reserve / emergency path has been the connectivity arrangement at other major sporting events for some time now. Wimbledon is definitely fibre main, not sure beyond that.

thegeek- I don’t think the main path from Wimbledon has ever been on satellite?
DO
dosxuk

Satellite being the second reserve / emergency path has been the connectivity arrangement at other major sporting events for some time now. Wimbledon is definitely fibre main, not sure beyond that.

Used to be microwave linked to crystal palace IIRC
NG
noggin Founding member

Yep - I think the host broadcaster court feeds are all carried over fibre to IMG at Stockley Park who handle forward distribution to at least some rights holders? I think this is a Hypermux point for EBU FINE connectivity?
CO
commseng

I would agree that Wimbledon used to be via microwave link into both Crystal Palace and also Swains Lane to provide diversity.
Plus when interactive started, the sheer number of circuits required both the London terminals to provide the link reception and circuits into TVC.
NG
noggin Founding member

I would agree that Wimbledon used to be via microwave link into both Crystal Palace and also Swains Lane to provide diversity.
Plus when interactive started, the sheer number of circuits required both the London terminals to provide the link reception and circuits into TVC.

Yep - it switched to fibre (ISTR IP over fibre but I may be wrong?) quite a while ago now?
CO
commseng
10 years ago there were 24 Mb/s circuits supplied by Genesis, they were SD reserves.
The main HD circuits were radio link into CP at 69Mb/s with Dolby E sound and also carried an SD circuit for Children's and News.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I think that may have been the year where I had to install a decoder for NICAM services carried inside an analogue audio mux transmitted over an AoIP circuit, which melted my brain a little.

Newer posts