TV Home Forum

BBC Salaries 2018/19 Revealed

(July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
Jon posted:

Graham Norton probably is at the top, but anything he makes from his chat show isn’t included, as it’s not paid directly by the BBC.

If the BBC pay Graham part of his salary for his talk show from revenue of BBC Studios, this means not a penny of licence fee money is used to pay his salary and instead it comes from their commercial arm, who use the rights money paid by international broadcasters to air The Graham Norton Show in their country, to pay his salary - right?

No. The BBC pays So Television/ITV Studios an amount of money from the licence fee to produce the show and pay the talent.

So Graham’s cost would be taken into account by ITV in the cost they charge the BBC to produce the show.

So Norton’s scandalous wages are coming out of the licence fee? If that’s the case his show needs to come back to where it came from, channel4.
JK
JKDerry
Jon posted:
If the BBC pay Graham part of his salary for his talk show from revenue of BBC Studios, this means not a penny of licence fee money is used to pay his salary and instead it comes from their commercial arm, who use the rights money paid by international broadcasters to air The Graham Norton Show in their country, to pay his salary - right?

No. The BBC pays So Television/ITV Studios an amount of money from the licence fee to produce the show and pay the talent.

So Graham’s cost would be taken into account by ITV in the cost they charge the BBC to produce the show.

So Norton’s scandalous wages are coming out of the licence fee?

Yes - that seems to be the whole point of the BBC salaries publication every July. Every July now the BBC will enter this **** storm which will probably fizzle out by September. 2019 is problematic though for the BBC after the pensioners licence fee issue. Piers Morgan keeps banging on about it when he bothers to turn up to present GMB.
TI
TIGHazard
Jon posted:

So Norton’s scandalous wages are coming out of the licence fee? If that’s the case his show needs to come back to where it came from, channel4.

Anything commissioned by the BBC comes from the licence fee (outside of stuff made for BBC America or other brought-in shows).

Of course, with a show sold internationally, there is the possibility that Norton's actual wages are lower than believed, and the number given is his actual wages + a percentage of international sales.

I.E. Imagine Norton's 'salary' is £2 million. ITV charge the BBC £100,000 a year, which comes from the licence fee. The rest of the £2 million comes from a share of the international sales.

I'm unsure if that is common in television (it is in film)
JK
JKDerry
Jon posted:

Anything commissioned by the BBC comes from the licence fee (outside of stuff made for BBC America or other brought-in shows).

Of course, with a show sold internationally, there is the possibility that Norton's actual wages are lower than believed, and the number given is his actual wages + a percentage of international sales.

I.E. Imagine Norton's 'salary' is £2 million. ITV charge the BBC £100,000 a year, which comes from the licence fee. The rest of the £2 million comes from a share of the international sales.

I'm unsure if that is common in television (it is in film)

I understand that Graham's current contract will be up in 2020, I think around the end of March. I wonder if Graham will ever leave the BBC? I am sure other broadcasters would love to have The Graham Norton Show on their channel. Or, is Graham a BBC boy now, and will have his "feet nailed to the floor" as in the words of the Irish broadcasting legend Gay Byrne come the 2020 contract renewal?
AA
Aaron_2015
I’m not really one for piling in on individuals, but I cannot for the life of me work out what Vanessa Feltz does for the BBC that’s worth £355,000 a year. Having googled it, I’m none the wiser.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I’m not really one for piling in on individuals, but I cannot for the life of me work out what Vanessa Feltz does for the BBC that’s worth £355,000 a year. Having googled it, I’m none the wiser.

Does she not do 10 radio shows a week?
MI
m_in_m

Given she presents for BBC Radio 2 and BBC London on weekdays quite a bit. She also is one of a few who cover some of Jeremy Vines programme.
AA
Aaron_2015

The early slot on Radio 2 and the breakfast show on Radio London, is that worth £355k? Is Vanessa Feltz massively in demand, warranting such a large salary?
JO
Jonwo

The early slot on Radio 2 and the breakfast show on Radio London, is that worth £355k? Is Vanessa Feltz massively in demand, warranting such a large salary?

For the amount of shows she does, £355k is a bargain.
AS
Ash101
Jonwo posted:

Apparently she does 20 less days on Radio 2 compared to Radio London - but I cannot remember this being the case? Doesn’t she just pop from one studio down to another between 6:30 and 7am?
MA
Markymark
Jonwo posted:

Apparently she does 20 less days on Radio 2 compared to Radio London - but I cannot remember this being the case? Doesn’t she just pop from one studio down to another between 6:30 and 7am?

From Wogan ( nee Western) House to NBH, but yes a few minutes walk
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Surely there is sufficient talent out there that she doesn't need to double shift?

Although I guess it's no different to Vine having a daily gig on TV and radio

Newer posts