« Topics
JKDerry1,696 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
I believe the UTV idents will be updated from tomorrow the 1st of July to the 'summer set', so it's bye bye to 'windy beach', 'bottle-fed lamb', 'bowling alley', 'florist' and 'hook a duck', and I expect it will be 'suncream slapped onto back', 'dive bombing into pool', 'amazing big hats' + a couple more I can't recall at the moment we will have to endure bring played out in the same ordered loop pattern for the next 3 months (July-Sept).

The 3 'opt-out' idents will remain I expect, so 'Gymnastics' will opt-out the ident loop when its news, 'Pigeons' will remain for 'strong warnings', (i.e. upsetting scenes, violence, scenes which some viewers may find distressing), and 'welders' for more 'softer warnings' (strong language and adult humour).

Then the excitement of UTV's 60th draws ever closer, so who knows what we will get presentation wise? I hope we get some leaks to what they have planned at some point.....but as long as the ever professional and longstanding Julian and Gillian remain as the voices of the channel, then all will be good and UTV will continue to put to shame the awful announcers the BBC, ITV Network and C4 use these days.

I was told by UTV that there are plans for a 60th anniversary special in October. That is all they said.
Joe6,532 posts since 9 Oct 2005
Meridian (South) South Today

Oh dear - does this mean what many have been fearing? UTV as a name will soon be gone? October 31st is the 60th anniversary, but could by October 31st UTV could be gone altogether as a name.

Nearly posted this as a joke and decided it was too obvious. Thanks for proving me right.
Spencer For Hire, bilky asko and 6 others
  • BBI45
  • tightrope78
  • chinamug
  • gottago
  • Lou Scannon
  • Brekkie
gave kudos
MMcG198647 posts since 14 Dec 2014
UTV Newsline

Saw this on UTV a few weeks ago also. Was curious if it went out on ITV with a voiceover. Did it go out in the 7pm junction? If so, there was a short trail for ITV 4 Tour de France coverage, right after the ITV National Weather - and it was voiced by the duty announcer. It was one of those short trails with the lower-third graphic. I wonder did UTV viewers get the ITV bumpers instead of that? If the London announcer wasn't possible on UTV, the ITV 4 trail would've been fine minus the voiceover.
Last edited by MMcG198 on 8 July 2019 7:25pm
mr_vivian1,020 posts since 11 Oct 2015
UTV Newsline

Saw this on UTV a few weeks ago also. Was curious if it went out on ITV with a voiceover. Did it go out in the 7pm junction? If so, there was a short trail for ITV 4 Tour de France coverage, right after the ITV National Weather - and it was voiced by the duty announcer. It was one of those short trails with the lower-third graphic. I wonder did UTV viewers get the ITV bumpers instead of that? If the London announcer wasn't possible on UTV, the ITV 4 trail would've been fine minus the voiceover.

It was before the 7pm junction after the itv national weather.

But then there was a special weather feature followed it as you can see the sponser for at the end.
UTV Newsline

But then there was a special weather feature followed it as you can see the sponser for at the end.

OK then - that confirms it. It replaced the ITV 4 trail that had a live voiceover from the London announcer. Odd.
TIGHazard447 posts since 3 Jan 2014
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

OK then - that confirms it. It replaced the ITV 4 trail that had a live voiceover from the London announcer. Odd.

I wonder if the animation is on the clean feed during junctions (like the BBC Clouds/Ribbons are)
Si-Co2,144 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I assume the “new” UTV logo introduced in 2016 is here to stay for the foreseeable future. It’s slightly odd as logos go - the “tv in a circle” evidently meant to mirror the “dot above the i” in the ITV counterpart, and in the same style as how the “itv” logo is written. There were probably better ways to reflect the ITV brand, but that circle/dot was incorporated into promos back then so it made complete sense to include it on UTV so their promo style could match ITV’s. However, now that ITV have moved on from that style of promo, the circle is somewhat redundant on UTV. Is the “new” logo too familiar or fresh to consider changing (and I suppose that brings us back to the unpopular speculation that the next rebrand might see the loss of the UTV name)?
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
UTV Newsline
I assume the “new” UTV logo introduced in 2016 is here to stay for the foreseeable future. It’s slightly odd as logos go - the “tv in a circle” evidently meant to mirror the “dot above the i” in the ITV counterpart, and in the same style as how the “itv” logo is written. There were probably better ways to reflect the ITV brand, but that circle/dot was incorporated into promos back then so it made complete sense to include it on UTV so their promo style could match ITV’s. However, now that ITV have moved on from that style of promo, the circle is somewhat redundant on UTV. Is the “new” logo too familiar or fresh to consider changing (and I suppose that brings us back to the unpopular speculation that the next rebrand might see the loss of the UTV name)?

I don't mind the current UTV logo. I can understand why they retained the large 'U'. Don't think they necessarily had to retain the previous, rather plain 'U' design - though it's debateable if a 'U' styled in line with the 'itv' logo font would've made that much difference. The smaller 'tv' works quite nicely.

I'm perfectly happy for the UTV brand to stick around. The channel looks so much better now than it did pre-October 2016.

But one complaint - the colouring of the 'tv' lettering on many of the trail endboards doesn't work well at all. Quite difficult to read.
denton gave kudos